Back to Back blood pressure reading

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can taking back to back blood pressure readings give you inaccurate results ?

I just read that taking them back to back causes the blood vessel to contract resulting in a lower blood pressure that isn’t accurate .

Whenever I take my blood pressure , it’s always 147 over 87 but after 10 or so minute of back to back readings I’m able to get it under 120 over 80 ; I always blame this to anxiety .

Are these reading inaccurate or was the comment that I read wrong about back to back readings?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Don't know.  I've seen doctors take several in a row.  Myself, I seldom do a retest in less than an hour.

• Posted

Many BP monitor instructions say to wait at least 5 minutes between testings to have the vascular system adjust back from the previous cuffing.
  • Posted

I thought the perceived wisdom was to wait 2 mins between readings. That's what my GP tells me to do. It is usually lower the second time but not always.

Quite often I get a huge drop between the 2 - as much as 20 systolic - in which case I take a third and if it is closer to the second reading then I discard the first. The GP is fine with that.

• Posted

You are probably right to blame it on anxiety. The doctor I see at a hypertension centre tells me to take three or four readings over a ten minute period. If three are similar to each other to believe them but not if there is a wide disparity. Though in my case I have AF and that can confuse the monitor although my one has a flashing heart sign to indicate that.
    • Posted

I get the flashing heart symbol once In a while when im anxious . 

Can anxiety cause this to pop up ? I have taken 2 EKG, Stress Test, and an ECHO and everything came out normal according to the cardiologist.

• Posted

I imagine that anxiety caused it. The tests you had should put your mind at rest.
  • Posted

I am registered with a University of Dundee hypertension trial (very large over 50,000 people) for which I have to send them my blood pressure reading every 3 months. They say I need to do 3 readings each 2 minutes apart so that is what I always do when taking my blood pressure. It is true that my 2nd and 3rd are always a bit lower which like you I have always put down to tension when taking the first.  It actually is important that you do not take them back to back but at least e minutes between each reading. I do not believe what you have read about back to back reading causing the blood vessels to contract - is that based on readings done by doctors as part of a clinical trial or is it just one persons opinion?
    • Posted

This was based on two comment that I came across on the internet . If you really think about it , it kind of makes sense that something happen to the vessel causing them to contract due to the arm getting squeezed . I take them back to back so often that my arm gets red blood dotted lines .. 
  • Posted

The comments May be right if you take the BP readings literally back to back. That is why GPs and nurses recommend sitting quietly 2-3 minutes between readings.
    • Posted

I wanted to get on one f the early renal denervation trials for hypertension. They took several readings sitting and standing that started off at 210/110. They then sat me out in the corridor with a machine attached to my arm taking  readings every couple of minutes. They varied from the original down to 137/80 and that was the one they took for my record.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.