Back to Panic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today was the best day yet. I felt like I was turning a corned, cleaned the house even! Then all of a sudden my whole torso just began to ache. It started with mid back then moved to lower back, then my sides, then it felt like entire abdomen was inflamed. I just can't help thinking doc was wrong about IBS and ulcer diagnosis. My Ct was clear. He ran a sendimentation(?) test to look for inflammation and it was normal. I only have bms in morning so that is not happening all day like it does for some.

Anyone else with IBS ache like this? I feel sore from chest to hips. Doc says endoscopy and colonoscopy are not necessary based on all the labs and ct. Even if he said I should do them I am too mentally beat to handle it right now 😦

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What you describe sounds like IBS. Pain moves all over your stomach and you can get the morning rush with BMs in the morning. Not everyone experiences it in the same way because IBS is unpredictable and not always textbook. The worry about it not being IBS is very common during bad flare ups.The build up of anxiety and tension you have had may well have triggered your flare up. Try to stay as calm as possible and trust and accept your doctor's IBS diagnosis. Ask for an antispasmodic and try painkillers. Buscopan works for me.

• Posted

I saw a dietician and now I have an appt with a functional medicine doc. The stomach burning is really bothersome as is the shortess of breath, heart palpitations, burning in chest and stomacg. Took the zantac yesterday and it caused my stomach and chest to burn for hrs and then it felt like lungs were burning. SO done with antacids! Back to constipation this morning, ate lunch, then back to diarrhea. I can't go on like this. At this point I could handle the pain, wacky bowel changes, and the bloat but the burning is so weird. If it were an ulceror gastritis why is thesucralfate the only thing that sooths it and why the lung and heart issue?

• Posted

Ulcers and gastritis are stomach issues and don't cause bowel habit changes like constipation and diarrhoea. The symptoms you are getting sound more like IBS. Heartburn is common with IBS and can also be triggered by intense anxiety which you have had a lot of. Palpitations and breathing problems sound more like anxiety or stress. I have had palpitations and breathlessness from anxiety.

Everyone is different with medications. It may be that your heartburn medication is the only one that suits you and the others don't.Don't worry about this. For example, omeprazole and zantac worked for me but did not work for you.Response to medications varies. Since you know your medication helps your heartburn, this should help to relax you because when you take it, you get relief. This is a positive thing.Try not to question why it is the only thing that works. The only thing that matters is that it does work for you. Put ulcers and gastritis out of your mind because you have not been told you definitely have either of them. The only way of knowing definitively is by an endoscopy and your doctor has said you don't need it. If your doctor thought these tests were necessary, he would have ordered them. The fact he has not, is good news for you. My doctor told me repeat tests were unecessary and I accepted this.

The more you doubt and question your symptoms, the more anxious you will be and it will increase your symptoms. If you have had a firm diagnosis of IBS and all your tests are clear, accept what your doctor has told you and you will start to relax more and your symptoms will improve as you learn to cope with your IBS if that's what you have. Your doctor is the expert.

I accepted my doctor's diagnosis of IBS and my symptoms improved and so did my anxiety. Your best way forward is to stay as calm as possible, accept, trust and believe your doctor and don't google your symptoms. Diagnosis acceptance is the key. This is your next step.

• Posted

I am trying. It has been so hard. Each time I think I have accepted this something changes and I freak out. Like now all I have is diarrhea. As soon as I wake up (which I always have in the night several times) sharp pains, sometimes burning, hits in random spots on abdomen or outside of hips and I have to rush to the bathroom. Been in there now 5x since 2am because stupid me tried laying on my right side for once in 3 nights and that was a no no. That was not an issue before. All pains go away once I go to the bathroom.

Leaving the house will be tricky now. The burning in chest, back and belly is now my biggest anxiety producer. I can't stop wondering what that is since IBS is suppose to be confined to abdomen, right?

It does not help when people in my life compare my symptoms to their friend that has cancer, or their lyme disease, or diverticulitis they have, or their crohns.

• Posted

IBS is not just confined to the abdomen. It can affect your joints, back and stomach as well as your bowel. Upper digestive tract problems are common such as heartburn. Try antipasmodics, Imodium and OTC antacids. These solutions can help the symptoms you are having. I try all these solutions when I need to and my symptoms are in remission.Try light exercise and a hobby to help you to forget about your stomach. Temporary relief of pain after a bowel movement, is a key symptom of IBS.

See your doctor about relaxation therapy because your anxiety is your main problem and once you get help for this, you will be able to manage your symptoms better. Anxiety will keep your symptoms in

flare up. My first flare up lasted three and a half months because I was constantly stressed with no diagnosis. My diagnosis got rid of my stress and the relief brought me long periods of remission.

• Posted

I was told by the final doctor I saw that I didn't need to rerun the tests that my previous doctor wanted to do, I was advised that I had IBS because all my tests were clear, my symptoms had not changed in three and a half months and I had no new symptoms or red flags, I accepted this and my anxiety and symptoms got better.

• Posted

im in the same situation! ive always had abnormal bowels but the past two years have been horrible for me with seperation .. the past month ive been getting upset stomach but alot in am but i do get later on in day too... i get sharp pain right above belly button for months but now its pain all over ... gallbladder area... mid stomach... lower abdomen... left and right side i feel so sick... sharp pain.. dull pain... the pain foes into my back ... shoulder blade area the most... im so stressed ... i had an ekg done twice ... xray lf abdomen ... US OF ABDOMEN.. normal! no blood in stools and i cant stop thinking the wrst ... im so depressed and now i have to go back to dr to see what else theyll do for me .. can stress do this? THE SHARP PAIN IN BCAK ALONG WITH ALL THE PAIN IN LOWER AND UPPER ABDOMEN?!

• Posted

Stress can really upset the gut and trigger conditions such as IBS. IBS pain moves all over the abodomen and you can get different types of pain. I had four types with my IBS: sharp or stabbing, deep grinding, dull and sore to touch pain. If all tests are negative, IBS is diagnosed. If you have IBS, antispasmodics and painkillers can help and sometimes diet change works such as the Low Fodmap diet. IBS feeds on anxiety so try to stay as calm as possible. Ask your doctor about IBS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.