Back to problems after stopping mirtazapine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been off mirtazapine completely for over six weeks after carefully withdrawing. These are not WD symptoms I am having now, but a return to my problems I had before mirtazapine. My insomnia is worse than ever. Even with a sleeping pill I don't get to sleep before 1 am and I am awake again at 6. I am so sleep deprived. But my insomnia returned whilst I was still on mirt, so again nothing to do with WD. I have absolutely no appetite, which is how I was before mirt and I am dropping weight at an alarming rate. I feel weak as a kitten but have a physical job caring for horses, so this cannot go on. This weakness and lack of sleep is going to drive me to depression again if I don't sort it out. But what can I do? I am sure it is a physical problem rather than a mental one. I can't go back on the mirt due to my blood counts and kidney problems. Any ideas? I think this is how my depression started before; lack of sleep and feeling so hungry but unable to eat.

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Aww evergreen

so saddened to hear this is happening to you ♥ have you ever had your thyroid checked? The only reason I ask is I know this can make you exhausted and can mirror some symptoms of depression which can impact on the physical body eg. unable to eat and feeling so weak. I am having mine checked today.

I really hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.

God bless ♥♥

• Posted

Hi Lorraine. Yes, I've had it checked quite recently and it's fine. As is my liver. But my kidneys are poor (stage 3 kidney disease). It's so frustrating to be so hungry and not be able to eat. It does get better around mid afternoon and I can eat a reasonable dinner later, but not enough total calories for my work load. I've had to cancel some training I was supposed to be doing with a client today.
    • Posted

Hi evergreen

so sorry to hear that. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does stage 3 mean? Will your kidneys repair with treatment. I really hope so X

You are right that being able to eat is essential for strength and health. Are you going to go back to your gp? Please let me know how you get on xxx

• Posted

Unfortunately they are very unlikely to improve as cannot regenerate like the liver. Best I can hope for is it doesn't get worse. Stage 3 kidney disease is moderate so not in failure yet and may never be. I am going back for more tests in 4 months just to check if there's any change or if the mirt was somehow affecting kidney function.
    • Posted

Hi evergreen

Are you able tolerate a protein shake in the mornings, something is better than nothing at all. Really hope you get better soon and able to enjoy your horse activities ♥ I have just come back from my blood test. I kind of hope it is a thyroid problem then I may start to get properly better!

God bless ♥♥

• Posted

Hi evergreen, I was just wondering wether your kidneys were ok before you started on the Mirt, and how long were you on it for.
    • Posted

Hi Jenny. I am not really sure as I either , or I did and they came back fine. I think it is the latter because I have had a lot of blood tests and kidney function is a pretty standard check.
    • Posted

I was on mirtazapine for four years. My kidney disease was discovered after being on it for two and a half years. Then my frequent urination also started.
  • Posted

Hi iv been off mirt a week no WD straight off.. as soon as I went upto 30mg the insomnia came back .. I'm lucky to go to sleep by 3am most nights .. killing me too 😡
    • Posted

It is iv had it for years feel like a zombie 😢iv just gone to the docs for some zopiclone. .I try not to take it to often so it it does its trick .. I hope it does for u too x
  • Posted

Have you cvonsidered Passion Flower as it does help with sleep.  You well need to check on the dosge. 
  • Posted

Just a thought. Could the physical aspects of depression be back without you realising it? When my depression was bad, I couldn't eat anything in the morning and early afternoon, just couldn't get it into me somehow, but I manage to eat something soft and easy to swallow eg scrambled eggs, in the evening. I could drink tea, coffee, etc so perhaps a protein shake might help, as Lorraine suggested. The problem gradually righted itself for me as I got the ddepression and anxiety under control. I do hope you can find what works for you.
    • Posted

Thanks. I am worried that it maybe depression yes. I have had a very busy and stressful time over the last 3 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.