Back to square 1 , well almost

Posted , 6 users are following.

My acid reflux journey started just under 1 year ago.

After 3 or 4 visits to the doctors, him putting me on I think 40mg of omeprazole I finally got it under control and was managing nicely on 10mg.

Then a few weeks ago we had a day at the cricket and a night out and the following week a wedding.Now I am not a big drinker but I did have more than normal and food as well. 

The week after I started with dull stomach pains and waking up in the morning with that horrible sour taste in my mouth,something I had when I first started with acid reflux.

After a trip back to the doctors he told me to double my dosage of tablets from 10mg to 20mg for around a week, which I did.This got rid of the  stomach pain  and sour taste within days. However I have started getting a little regurgitation in the back of my throat each time I eat and a lump type feeling in the back of my throat (Globus) that comes and goes.

When I first started with acid reflux I had the lump in my throat about a week or so into my medication and the doctor told me it would pass,which it did.

I was though on a higher dosage at that point to what I am on now (20mg) and it went in next to no time.This time it has been around for a week, not getting any better and not getting any worse but 20mg doesnt seem to be doing the trick as yet. 

Should I ask my doctor to up my dosage and gradually drop back to 10mg as before when I feel ok again or should I wait for the 20mg of omeprazole to start doing their job?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I think he should double it and after say two weeks you should be ok, but If your doctor is like mine they say it will work but it just takes time.

How long would you say yiu felt better for after being on the tablets?

• Posted

A good few months id say, it was only the two shall we say " wild weekends" that knocked me off track. I am now also since my relapse watching what I eat and drink, ie skimmed milk instead of semi skimmed ,water melon and apple juice instead of cranberry juice.

• Posted

Thank you Wayne, mines more getting rid of the sickness as well
  • Posted

I'm no expert and have been diagnosed with reflux myself.  Personally I would wait just a couple of days and then go back to your G.P.  

Don't feel guilty about frequent visits to your Doctor, as I have done sometimes - but not any more !      It is your body after all.    Good luck and hope you feel better soon.   Can I just ask - do you get nausea with your reflux ?  

• Posted

No not at all , just the slight regurgitation in the back of my throat
    • Posted

Some G.Ps have said yes, you do get nausea with reflux.   Other G.Ps have said no.    I googled this and there is definitely a link.
    • Posted

Do you have it, I had the camera today so hopefully I'll get some answers

• Posted

Yes, I have it and have done for many years. Lansoprazole from the doc seems to work mostly.      I hope you get some information soon on the endoscopy that will put your mind at rest.   Last week I had one, but with a general anaesthetic as I fought under sedation with the scope and wouldn't let them near me the last time.    This time after many years, the endoscopy showed up 50 small polyps in my stomach.  No wonder I feel rough from time to time.   Waiting for biopsy results.  I wish you all the best.    Feel free to let me know what your results were, as I would be interested.

• Posted

Hi anglea I hated every minute of it, sedation didn't much good for me. But at least I know what's wrong I also going for a scan tomorrow so I'll have much more info, I hope your ok and you biopsy results come back soon and are all good X I'll let you know when I've had my scan X

• Posted

Go to the side bar here on tips to control of this disease and meds. 

Also taking precautions before you go to bed like don't eat anything spicy for a few days and no food after 8-9 pm. Sleeping with your head above your stomach also prevents the acid from reflexing from the stomach to the throat. 

• Posted

I think all Drs want us to try what is prescribed and not complain until we have tried that.

I have tried various times to call various Drs and say I think dose is too little or too much and I am always told to give the prescription a shot.

We want instant gratification...they are the Drs...its hard for me too...but they give us direction for a medical reason or knowledge they have studied that we can not find on Google...etc.

• Posted

well you are facing decease call GERD and you will be better by doing lifestyle changes. Medicine will help but don't be dependent on them. Try on goggle for lifestyle changes for GERD and follow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.