Back to square one

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've just reached week 4 since my TKR and yesterday I thought the pain was eventually calming down.

but today has been a bad day the pain has been awful and I feel I'm not progressing as I should...has anyone else experienced this?

i'd be so grateful of some feedback

tahk you 

Jean 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh Jean this is so familiar to me! At week 6 I felt like things were coming together. I didn't need my crutches, the pain was manageable and I was sleeping for longer at night.  I am now week 8. The swelling is still so big, the knee is constantly excruciatingly tight and I am back to sleeping a couple of hour a night!  You are most definitely not alone. With this awful operation we are all on a rollercoaster ride.  Good days and then bad days. Also, we all progress at different rates. At my physio knee group there are people there who can bend better than me and have not had their op as long ago as I have.  My consultant told me that I would hate him for the first 3 months as the pain is so bad. He was right too! If he was near me now I think I would bop him on the nose lol. I have found that ice and elevation really helps. Keep taking your pain killers regularly. I dropped down to twice a day at 6 weeks.  I am back to 4 times a day now. Please don't fret yourself. It really is normal for this rotten operation and we all have to take things steady. Don't over do the exercises, keep up meds and

ice and elevate the leg.  You are doing fine but try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Things do get better in time. Take care love xx

• Posted

Thank you Ruby your words of wisdom have really put my mind at ease

and I must admit I tried to cut down on the painkillers as they make me feel so sick.

you are so right about other people at physio who are doing better and had their op later...I must admit I felt that too and have been pushing myself with the exercises.

thanks for your comments I feel so much better now...from now on I take every day as it comes 

you have made me feel so much better.

thank you 

Jean 

• Posted

I sympathise too, Jean. I remember going through similar days when the pain seemed to be getting worse not better. We all try to cut down on the painkillers I think but I found on days like that you just have to revert to taking the stronger ones. I took Zapain (30mg codeine) 4 times a day for the for the 1st month after coming home. You've got to keep the exercises up but rest and ice is also important. I took regular afternoon naps in the early days. Hope you feel better soon - it does ease, honestly 😊 Take care.

Jen x

• Posted

Hi Jean

Make an appointment or have a phone chat with your GP.

What meds are you on?

Christine 

• Posted

My mess are just paracetamol and Nefopam but trying to chat to a GP at my surgery is virtually impossible ...the receptionists say they will get a doctor to ring you back but it doesn't happen

i can't even get to Docs as my knee doesn't bend enough to get into my daughters car

perhaps it's my own fault as I have been going at the exercises today like a bull in a china shop ...I wanted to get a little more bend in the knee before physio next Tuesday

jean

• Posted

you should make your appointment on line  , ive found that its easier and you dont have to speak to any one who says were busy , no silly phone charges either ,you will need to go and ask at your doctors for a letter with numbers on you will need to register , they always have appointments saved for this , good luck 

• Posted

Aww Jean, I really feel for you. I am only 3 weeks in and really struggling. But my G.P practice are so supportive. Like you I could not get in so a nurse came out and removed the staples and are still visiting because the top of the scar is a tad weepy. The doctor rang me back within 30mins and prescribed Naxproxen and additiona codine if I need it on an evening. I am still waiting for the physo. appointment. I would try your GP again.

Take care nikki

• Posted

Thank you

i will try the GP again if it's no easier on Monday

thank you 

• Posted

Hi jean I'm afraid this is just how it goes. You think you are on the mend then wham it hits you again. At 8weeks i am still having some bad days and nights. I'm afraid it's pert and parcel of the op.the one thing I do seem to be getting right is the walking. My legs are feeling stronger each day although I am still getting a little pain. Chin up jean you are getting there albeit slowly. Once you have reached the 6week mark you should you be well on the way. It's so frustrating I know. But when I had those really awful days and nights, I didn't do any excersises just rested with ice when needed. It makes you feel that it's never going to get better, but you will. Sit and cry if you need to, I did, still do. I wish you well jean hold on in there. Love from tucks x
  • Posted

I'm the same, Jean.  I hurt my back and bottom of my foot doing the straight leg raises.  I have more parts of my anatomy that hurt now than before my surgery.  I keep doing my exercises but feel I'm not getting any place.  I know it is just a bad day but I do worry it will go on forever.  I've got to try and get some rest and maybe tomorrow will be a better day.  Don't give up.  I won't even though I feel like it at times.  I'd like to cut down on the pain meds but I know it is too early for me.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.