Back to the GP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Went back to my GP regarding awful Sciatic pain and she prescribed Oxycodone but, like Gabapentin and Pregabalin, which I have been prescribed before, and being a sedating drug yet again, all it makes me do is fall asleep. I will keep on persevering.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Consider...

Sciatica

• Posted

Thanks so much for your response. The cause goes back to a fall when I fractured my hip and had a Total Hip Replacement a couple of years ago. I have Osteoporosis which did not help matters, otherwise I may not have fractured my hip then.

I have been prescribed Oxycontin which I have not started yet because, yet again, it is so sedating and can cause falls as I found out with Pregabalin. Off to see my Chiropractor again soon after a break and heard I have an appointment at Hydrotherapy this month which I believe will do good

• Posted

I have a metal knee, hip and spine. Took a few calls to find a chiro skilled with people who have a lot of metal parts. Just my opinion but when I get a sciatic episode, it's handled by chiro and ibuprofen (max 10 days). I NEVER take the nerve drugs like Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Lyrica or anything RX. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the alignment to hold and the raw nerve calms down. Others try acupuncture, yoga, PT, etc. Gotta find what works for you.

• Posted

My GP will not prescribe anymore Gabapentin or Pregabalin! I found Ibruprofen made me feel sick

• Posted

Hi hovin127,

I understand how you feel. How long you've been in pain? Do you know what causes it?

Tylenol 3, plus muscle relaxants, always helped me with sciatic pain.

Hope you feel better.

Adele

• Posted

I have been in severe pain especially in the tailbone since the weather turned cold. I cannot sit down now in comfort at all. I have been wading through a concoction of pain killers, some of which have unreal side effects that are o good for me. Latest drug is Oxycontin. Saw the GP who is sending me for a spinal XRay. I am due to go back to see the Chiropractor again soon. Thanks for replies.

• Posted

My daughter, a certified professional trainer, was doing squats many years ago. She slipped and her spotter failed to catch the weight (310 pounds...and she's only 5'2", 112 pounds). She fell hard on her tailbone...and then the weight came down. Compression fracture of L1/L2 plus microfractures in the S1-S3 area. Should have been healed in six months.

Instead the pain lingered for 2 1/2 years until her doctor cousin took her to Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC...the "spine capital" of the world. Neurosurgeon ordered an MRI not of her lower back (already done) but of everything LOWER than that. A review of the results showed DRAMATIC damage to her tailbone (coccyx). In fact, it was completely shattered into multiple fragments.

Very delicate surgery removed all the shards. Another six months healing and rehab. She will never be 100% but at about 95% with virtually no pain and an active life (she kicks P90X's butt), she's as good as she'll get.

Lesson: The neuro told us that a fractured coccyx is one of the most misdiagnosed injuries on the planet. Takes the correct MRI with contract plus a skilled neurosurgeon to diagnose and treat the problem. Check it out...you should never live in that kind of pain. Besides, the opioids will rot your teeth within 2 years. Get it fixed!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.