Back to work.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my bunion done in may. All went well. Went back to work 3 weeks ago on part time hours. As I work in retail I'm on my feet all the time. Doing 5 hours instead of 8 but at about 4 hours my feet are killing me. They want me to go back to full time next week. Don't quite know what to do, any advice please. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janet, if you are on a till in a shop, couldn't you sit on a stool, they all do in UK. But if you are walking around in your job you maybe should be taking more time of work so you dont undo the good work.

• Posted

Hi I walk around a lot at work and some heavy lifting. I am taking things very slowly but find when I get home after 6 hours my big toe and second toe are puffy and stiff. I am going to cut down my hours again. I don't want to go back wards with my progress. 

• Posted

Hi Janet. I had my op 6 weeks ago, so I don't have your experience yet, but have you tried compression socks? Could imagen it would help redirect the blood upwards and help the swelling which can be part of the pain.... I found all kinds of types from just covering the fore foot  Knitido Dr. Foot® Hallux Valgus - Half Toe Compression Band, Bunion control/prevention) to up to the thighs-socks...maybe someone has experience with this... You probably did consider foot soles with soft bed, support etc., that woukd make a big difference as well, I should think....

I really feel sorry for you, can imagen the discomfort and pain!

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. Coming up to 3 months with mine. Work have been good but am going to see if I can continue doing part time for another couple of months just to be on the safe side. 
  • Posted

I personally don't think you should be on your feet like that so soon anyway. The swelling could continue for 12 months but if you're in pain that's telling you something. You have to be patient with recovery. I found that all my metatarsals gave me great pain individually and at various times as the foot had to settle into its new shape. 3 1/2 months was the turning point for me.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I am going to tell them at work that I have to do a few more months at part time. I am 3 months into mine and find my big toe and 2nd toe are puffy and stiff after about 4hours at work. I will show employer paper work regarding recovery period. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.