Back to work??

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello All. I have great straightening 0 of knee BUT bend is only 92. In 3 days, it has been 3 months since tkr on left. Can anyone give me an idea when they returned to work? I have a job on/off my feet for 8 hours in the day.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

5 weeks but a sitting down job - but sitting down was the hardest thing. Even now (5 months) I cease up horribly after sitting down too long. Walking around is easier than sitting down. 5 weeks was a tad too early probably 7 or 8 weeks would have been easier. 
    • Posted

5 wks way to early as you say sitting to long isnt nice but neither is stsnding its getting the balance. due for 5th tkr soon
    • Posted

Five weeks is way too early to even think about returning to work. You had very serious surgery and it takes time to recover from it. 5 weeks was more than a tad too early, you should have been looking at months rather than weeks. Unfortunately finances play a part in when someone has to return to work. Unfair system where the employed have to support themselves whilst some others on benefits have no worries financially.   
  • Posted

Hi dawn ,

I had TkR on right knee August 23 2017 and just returned to work about 2 weeks ago about 5 1/2 of  rehab ... the last 7 weeks of 4 hours a day 5 days a week just to get back to work . I drive a truck and walk 15 to 20 k steps a day with up and Down on my truck up and down stairs with various weights .. I’m in pain still everyday and come home and elevate and ice daily so I’m just hoping that my pain will go away or not sure what I will do .. good luck 

• Posted

3 months is very early. I returned after 6 months with each knee. Job included some lifting , kneeling and driving. Would have taken longer if I could have afforded to. My bend was about 135 and 0 straight, but I did a lot of exercise a little and often without overdoing it. Take as long as you can to recover, your knee has to last a long time. It's almost 20 years since my left and 18½ for the right. I have had no problems and am now enjoying retirement with pain free knees. You can't hurry recovery it takes as long as it takes. Good luck you will get there in the end.

• Posted

Hi dawn I'm 5 months post LTKR I have just started a phased return back to work. My first week back I only had to do 3 x4 hour days. The second day I did was really busy and I ended up standing or walking for the full 4 hours. I was in a lot of discomfort that night and the next day. Today I've managed 7 hours but I have sat down for most of it. I'm in the nursing profession so it does vary but we spend more time on our feet than on our behinds. My flexion was stuck at 90 degrees for ages but even though I've been busy today I'm still managing a flexion of 110 degrees after I've done my ROM exercises 

• Posted

I had a total knee replacement on November 22, 2017. The first month was very painful.

I had home therapy when I got out the hospital. The home therapy was for two weeks. It felt like my recovery was a lot slower than when I had my left knee replaced. It took a long time for my insurance to approve outpatient therapy. The oupatient therapy helped me with my range of motion. My range of motion is 124 without help. I work in a nursing home doing CNA work. I go back to work March 5. I have been doing the exercises at home twice a day and thrapy twice a week. Good luck to you!🐈

• Posted

Thank you. My tkr was 11/27/17. I am an Asst. Manager of a Group home, so the job is a mixture of on& off my feet.

I need to get more bend still...stuck at 90...

• Posted

Hello Dawn, this is Daniel, I can not give u a definite answer, but it will be two years,for me in May 16th 2016,that's what people have told me to be completely healed, it will take two years,to be pain free, but continue to do squats to get flexibility and what ever else that u have been doing to help u along the way continue to ice your knee and stay mobile.

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I am now 5 months LTKR but returned to work part time at 3 months as I was getting depressed being at home alone. Unfortunately for me I think it hindered my recovery as my ROM then stuck at 90-100.  I am now going in for a MUA in a weeks time to try and improve it so I’ll be off work again. I would say don’t rush it and keep on with exercises, but everyone is different. Listen to your body and do what you think is right for you. Sharon 
  • Posted

16 weeks for me,my job is up and down three flights of stairs,with very little sitting down involved and it is tough but a phased return has helped so much,everyone is different and also what work you are in.
    • Posted

brent how on earth do u cope? waiting on 5th tkr and i feel for u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.