Back to work ??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been off work for 7 weeks , I have COPD , but I have had no issues with COVID19, I am prepared to go back to work , do I need a Drs note or just inform work

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Really does depend where you live and what you do for work, nothing is really safe for any one with lung problems. Having had no issues does not mean that you wont get the disease and if you do it will not be pretty as you suffer already with lung problems. If you really can't work from home and want to go back to work I suppose no one can stop you. Wish you the very best of luck and protect yourself as best you can, mask, visor, hand gel etc.

• Edited

I take it that your job is available. If you are in the States, this varies by state. Generally, if you live in a red state, they just want you off of unemployment & back at work. If you live in a blue state, it depends which state it is. You'll have to ask.

• Posted

nowhere did he ask for a political statement, it wasnt necessary & was of no help.

• Posted

Normally I'd agree with you, but the present crisis that we ALL must deal with must not allow those that traditionally profit on the labors of others to coldly put peoples lives at risk to gain a few months profit. Also, greater work/social activity can erase the hard fought vigilance of those that had to stay in their homes when they would have prefered to be working / living as before.

It's not only about this or that individual, but about the greater good of all. It's already tough on our medical heros and the police/fire/sanitation who are risking more daily to ensure the safety and security of our communities. It's one thing to risk our own lives to return to work or to church or other, yet it is quite another when that activity places others in danger so you can return back to a place before this Global Pandemic erupted.

I too can fully understand those who need to return to work to pay for the rent, utilities, transportation, food, and pay off credit bills. Governments/charities/ and many others recognise this as well and for many, food as well as monetary relief, have risen up to help. In some places rents are being delayed until conditions improve.

Many in this world have grown up being thought to selfishly live for themselves and to coldly look down on those less capable/well off. That way of thinking needs to be put aside as the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. returning too soon to the way we were could be like pouring gasoline upon the embers of a hard fought fire.

The ounce of prevention we endure now, could be worth more that a pound if we stand fast and stand together now.

All the Best

• Posted

what you're saying is stand together to your way of thinking. this isnt a political site. no more discussion, save it for twitter.

• Posted

I stated facts, not politics. It is a fact that different states are handling things differently, and it is f-a-c-t that many of the differences run along party lines. i did not discuss politics. It is further fact that EVERYTHING to do with health and healthcare for the under-65 crowd of Americans has been turned from the old days, 1950s-1990, when almost everyone lucky enough to have work also had health insurance regardless of state and party in power, to today where healthcare is considered attainable only with an income of $100,000 and up. It is disgraceful and unamerican, and it is unhealthy for all.

Larry is 10,000% right: we must all think and act for the common good of all mankind as much as possible. As he made clear, some people must risk their health & everyone else's in order to just tread water. It breaks my heart that that is true anywhere on earth, but it is.

But here's a statement for you: It's Mayday and I support everyone on strike today for safer working conditions, because that is a health issue.

God bless and save us all.

• Edited

SF,

I believe that you are mistaking a medical position for a political one. Throughout history those with power have uncaringly used employees for dangerous task or to die first in battlefield charges. Requiring workers to remain in jobs like meat packing plants where the CVID-19 virus is rampant is no different. If 10 workers die, then no matter, replace them with more less important people. Not political, but putting real people in a medically dangerous position so production levels maintain the profit margin that management values more.

You say Social Distancing is political? I say that Social Distancing is a medical treatment that may taste bad, but must be strictly followed for the health and safety of all. Fighting against these rules may place innocent others at a greater risk because of some selfish politically motivated behavior.

The Covid-19 virus is not political or religious or interested in peoples station in life. It is an equal opportunity killer and to fight it we must suspend past political stances for the present and pull together instead of working to cross purposes. Sacrifice does not just apply to the business owner or the laid off worker. People are dying and the best way to save lives right now is by adhering to medically isolating until this highly contagious virus is defeated.

If you have a pre-existing condition like COPD , as I do, extreme care must be taken during this Pandemic. A vaccine like many take annually to fight off the Flu is not available. No certain cures currently exist. Our best weapon is the sacrifice of our former active lives to prevent further spread of this virus.

Political? I don't think so !

• Posted

Philip,

You've not said what work you do. Returning to a work environment and having COPD could place you at even greater risk. Living in America, I don't know the UK rules/laws that you are subject to, but I'd think that for anyone with COPD, contracting COVID-19 would very likely be a death sentence.

I am in a better position to endure the Stay Home /Social Distancing as for years already I've been retired on disability and am financially supported (not so greatly ) through our national Social Security Laws. As long as I carefully budget my megar monthly allocated support money, I can manage to get on to the next month.

For those that don't qualify for disability as I do, I've not forgotten what those paychecks mean. Paying for rent, utilities, transportation, food, etc. as well as those credit bills is not at all easy without those regular paychecks.

The larger question around the world is this, is the risk of easing social restrictions without any way yet proven available COVID-19 cure or prevention worth the risk of setting off another wave of sickness and death. Is returning to a more "normal" way of life risking the throwing of gasoline in smoldering embers that are just hungry for more fuel. This question will be addressed over the next 30 days as selected areas/regions gamble with the lives in their communities to gain back financial normalcy. These decisions are easier for management to make than for their (at greater risk) employees. Closed off in am office provides greater protection than working in a manufacturing plants crowded main floor.

For some, even with local government approval, returning to work may in the end be a personal decision rather than complying with a politically motivated and financially focused decision.

Good luck to you Phillip and to all that struggle with these problems around the world.

All the Best, Larry

• Posted

Philip,

A quick note: What kind of work do you do ? Can you work from your home ?

All the Best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.