Back to work 1 week after THR surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am having THR of left hip in April. i am reasonably fit and hear/ read that by about 6 weeks after op i should be fairly mobile. i am guessing before that there will be a fair amount of sitting around between exercise stints. would it be a reasonable expectation to go back to a work from home desk job 1 week after surgery? i dont want to get bored and i have a business to grow.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I really doubt this! You will be on painkillers, there will be swelling, your body will have been knocked around, you will need to rest.

Aged 74, I went back to work (involving lengthy commuting) after 4 months. My son - aged 47 - has recently gone back to work after 2 months.

I hope I am wrong in your case but I don't think I will be.

Joan

• Posted

Hello Twiglet.. you won't be a bit bored especially the first few weeks there is to much to do and lots of healing .Of course you can do some computer stuff any time your up to it. Perhaps after hip surgery you will have a better idea how to do things and make an assessment . Everyone is different.

Short term healing is approximately 6 months and long term healing 12- 16 months. there are also the ups and downs of healing we all experience.

the biggest tip don't over do. many new hippies try to rush healing and try to do more of this or that pushing yourself to long and PT exercises which can lead to set backs. Take it slowly .. one day at a time... ice rest and medications and just walking is all that is needed to healing and recovery.

maybe document your daily recovery to share.

Good luck on your surgery . now your on your way to a a better quality of life and mobility.

• Edited

Hi

I'm currently starting week 4 of my second THR. I can work from home and I went back to work a week after surgery -sitting in front of a computer. The only thing to do is to make sure you get up and go out for your walks - I do this 3 times a day. Also going out to the kitchen to get a cuppa. You just get stiff sitting down. I'm in my mid 50s and was relatively fit. I did find I was tired sometimes - just go for a 20 min nap !

Best of luck with your op.

• Posted

thanks for the input. i also work at a computer from home so am pleased to see starting back after 1 week is feasible. will do the exercises and walks too though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.