Back to work

Posted , 6 users are following.

6 weeks post op from trimallelor break (sp)? NWB still.  Go back to Dr on Aug. 16th.  I go back to work in two days on Aug. 7th.  I'm a teacher ... we have staff development and the kids start on Aug. 21st.  I carpool thankfully (it's 50 min round trip).  I am very nervous about going back to work.  Please pray for me!  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Dear Christina

The very best luck and I hope it all goes well for you. Biggest danger perhaps is someone bashing into you or knocking you off balance. Perhaps wearing bright clothing would be a good protective measure!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Christina

I've just spotted that you are not weight bearing so how are you getting around?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I have been in a scooter at home but in a wheelchair out and about . Will use the wheelchair at school .  Will use a Walker when weight bear and use the wheel chair in between. 
  • Posted

I am sending Prayers. The I walk 2.0 has worked good for me . I am not able to sit down with it on though , have to take it off and on . I am using a Walker to go back and forth to the bathroom. I fell off the crutchs, so not going to use them . I am a licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor. I am on Short Term Disability until September 6. I also have a part time job and with both jobs I walk alot . I had surgery 7-27-17 and go for follow up 8-7-17 . I am going to ask about a knee scooter. That would be the only way I could go back work if I was still weight non weigh bearing. Have you looked into The I walk 2 .0 or a knee scooter?

Blessings and Prayers

• Posted

Yes check out the iwalk 2.0 On Amazon and read the reviews a number of which include user videos. I'm using one because it gives non weight bearing full hands free mobility on your bad leg.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

First off I commend you Christina, my daughter is a teacher as well... you are the angels on earth.

My advice to you... as I am a baby nurse and worried about returning to work as well after same break... take care of YOU

I am sure the kids will be loving, caring and understanding, if you need to sit then sit, if you need to elevate then do that, do not push yourself to please everyone else. I am not there yet ,but have been told you do too much you will have days you swell and have some pain.

So listen to your body and don't push yourself more then need be.... my prayers for you to get healthy and strong fast and give yourself back to the kids 100% again 

• Posted

Accck! I work with adults and I'm worried, I can't imagine working with kiddos! Then again...Sometimes they're the more compassionate ones. Good luck to you as you hear up for back to school. I'm right behind ya, returning to work on the 14th. Pray for me and I'll pray for you!!

• Posted

Christina, as others said take the advice and take your time, rest when you can it is exhausting the first week or 2 weeks getting use to everything.  I Went back at 6 weeks  I had the same break as you, and the big thing is to elavate and at try to ice 3 to 4 times for 10 mins. each it sure helps alot.  If you sit in a chair, makebe take a small pillow for your lower back, my back started to hurt more then my foot, and found if they let you it helps in any chair.  Like others said don't push yourself. My 6weeks they said to start weight bearing, and agian my lower back hurts, someone here recommended the Even Up shoe slips over a tennis shoe, I have not received it yet but I am going to try that, suppose to even with your walking boot and help all the rest of your joints. Something to think about.

Good Luck, and take care

Dawnette

• Posted

I went to work... I had the part on the wheelchair that extends but it isn't like being home on a recliner w pillows!  I took a two hour nap when I got home!  This is not for the weary!  

• Posted

Bless your heart!!!! I go back tomorrow and am NOT looking forward to it. Even brushing my hair to prepare for the day is exhausting! I am totally winded by the time it's time to leave. Setting my alarm TWO hours earlier for the morning. Best of luck to you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.