Back to work after hysterectomy - overthinking everything?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I’m new to this blog. Started to read it today and comments being made have really helped. Just thought I’d post one as just started back to work after 14 weeks signed off , 1 week holiday and now at 16 weeks post op. I work in London (commute by train /bus) have a long commute so doing a “phased return”. Been feeling really, panicky, worrying what my colleagues really think and doubting my abilities. Found myself getting quite tearful but not showing it to colleagues. Boy ! Do you feel tired even tho not doing full day😴Anyone else going through this stage at the moment? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi lynda. I felt exactly the same when I returned to work. I felt my work colleagues were talking about me. I felt panicky,tearful. I felt I was having a break down. I must admit I felt this for about 4mths. Tiredness I still get tired. More quickly to. It's been 2 year's now and I feel Im getting there. It does take time. Take one day at a time. X

• Posted

Hi Gillian I really appreciate your advice Thankyou 👍🏻It is early days and the good thing is I can at least work at home too. I will take one day at a time and make the most of my phased return X

• Posted

This sounds so familiar to me, I was a senior manager in the NHS following my hysterectomy and struggled with exactly the same kind of symptoms. I put it down to the loss of hormones including testosterone that gave me the drive and motivation I had prior to my surgery. I did actually leave my role but the positive thing out of this is that I now have a much better job at a stress level I can manage. I am very better now and not suggesting you leave your job, but for me it was the right thing to do. 

Hope you feel better in yourself 

Jo x

• Posted

Hi Jo Thankyou also for your advice. It’s so good to know you ladies are out there that have felt the same as me. I think as well that we are very hard on ourselves as we strive to do well and want to appear in control. I am thinking of changing my lifestyle next year to have a better work life balance. While I have been off it has made me evaluate what I really want for my future happiness. That is a positive thing that has come out of this operation 🙂

Glad you are enjoying your new job X

• Posted

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head to be honest, I too evaluated my life, it’s a definite positive. I also found this website extremely supportive. 

Jo x 

• Posted

Yes indeed! I only came across it yesterday wish I had done a lot earlier. 

But found it now so all good 👍🏻 Thanks again 

L x

• Posted

Hi I had hysterectomy in january returned to work after 12 weeks 6 weeks phased returned I am now using annual leave to half my shifts as I work 12 hr shifts I get really tired my voice goes weak as if ive no energy to talk by the end of my shift so I know where your coming from and yes I worry that my colleagues think im at it but now I think what the x xxx they would have to go thru what we did to understand takes a long time to recover xx
    • Posted

Hi Sharon thank you too for your reply. This  really helps me also not to feel so alone. Good to hear you had a 6 week phased return. So far I have officially got one for 2 weeks from my Dr. Did you do your own or was it done with your Drs advice. I know it’s about how I am feeling as to what I can do as we are the only ones who know our capabilities. Tbh my boss is very understanding so I am sure I won’t be pushed to do anything I don’t want too. I agree with your comments re what we’ve been through too. No one can know how it is until they have had this op. It’s not just the physical healing it’s the mental healing and adjusting to the lack of hormones!! Thank you so much you’ve really made me feel more positive. Just about to start a working at home 4 hour shift 🙂👍🏻X

• Posted

Hi lynda,  this forum have helped a lot during my recovery...i live in AB, Canada and on 5th month post total hysterectomy.  On my 3rd month had insomia and anxiety, panic attack. Just tellibg you not to overthinking so many things.  Everybody is different,  like everybody else experiencing tiredness.  Be carefull my dear sister and take care.  You can make it.🙏

• Posted

Hi Delia lovely to hear from you in Canada😊Thankyou  for your reassuring words. I too suffered from insomnia earlier on and not that great at sleeping now but getting better. I must admit at the end of my 2nd week of reduced hours at work I am feeling a bit better especially now I’m more “in the loop”with what’s going on. But still a little bit overthinking. Ive just got a “Mindfullness” app on my mobile so will use this to help calm me down which I think will help me. You take care too Sis and and good to make contact with other women who know exactly how I’m feeling 👍🏻

• Posted

Hi,

I have read from another group of sisters like us having insomia after tvh is due to Serotonin in our intestine affected by antibiotics that we need to take some probiotics and also due to hormonal imblance.  Need to eat  food like nuts, tofu etc.  I ate some of it with matching exercises and God is good have recovered completely.  You take care.🙏

• Posted

Thankyou Delia. I really appreciate your advice. I’ve been thinking I need to eat more healthily as easy not too when you are recovering. Take care too 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.