Back to work after prostate biopsy?

Posted , 13 users are following.

My urologist wants me to have a transrectal prostate biopsy.  I'm wondering what the recovery time will be like and if I will be able to go back to work that day or just take the whole day off?  He makes it sound like no big deal, 10 minute procedure. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had mine done almost a year ago. Local anesthetic and it did only take about 15 minutes. I scheduled mine late afternoon, drove myself home, and went back to work the next morning. I had blood in both my urine ( that day only) and my semen for a couple of weeks. Chances of infection are small, and the biopsy confirmed for me that I did have cancer. Please don't put this off.

• Posted

Take the day off.  As you can see by the replies many only have minimal discomfort, like myself, and others more.  I took the day off, it's uncomfortable enough that you will prefer to be home.

Infection is the biggest concern.  make sure antibiotics are prescribed.

• Posted

Thank you all for your input! Appreciate your perspective.  If i decide to have it, yes i will definitly take the day off.  Dr. offered me nitrous oxide for the procedure.  My PSA is only 2.9 and no history of PC in my family, and no MRI, but Dr. says he feels left side of my prostate has a nodule.  Still a bit worried about post-procedure pain, incontennce, frequent or painful urination, etc., which i heard could be a problem. 
    • Posted

What!!! PSA 2.9, no MRI and you are considering a biopsy? I know that is the order doctors want you to do it but it's not them having the biopsy. I would definitely get a colour-Doppler MRI done first and only then consider a biopsy. It is most definitely not a walk in the park.

?I would read up on this first. I cannot remember the title of the book but one book I have on PCa lists the order of procedures and biopsy comes way after an upward trend in PSA and a confirmed MRI.

Good luck whatever you do.

• Posted

That's exactly what I was thinking man. Seems a little invasive just to confirm no cancer   Or lot invasive at this point from what I've read.  I'm not gonna have my smallish prostate shot full of holes just to satisfy drs curiosity. 

• Posted

I think you'd be unlucky to get any of those complications. Infection is the greatest risk. I expect they will give you a few days supply of antibiotics to prevent that. Good luck.

• Posted

I had the transrectal prostate biopsy. My urologist put me on antibiotics a few days prior to the procedure which I am sure helps prevent infection. I continued taking the antibiotics for a few days after. As for going back to work the same day, I would think you would want the day off - and maybe even the next day. Even though they gave me some kind of Novocaine type ointment, it is still not pleasant by any means. It is tolerable, and ibuprofen helps with the discomfort. But sitting is pretty uncomfortable for a while...

The best of luck to you.

• Posted

If your insurance covers it I would definitely recommend an ultrasound and also a 3T MRI of the prostate before you get any kind of biopsy done. That way it is much more likely that they can identify particularly suspicious areas and possibly do a Fusion biopsy which is a lot more accurate in detecting prostate cancer. I'm in the position of having to make a similar decision and what is holding me back is the increased likelihood of infection or sepsis with a transrectal biopsy instead of a transperineal one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.