Back to work??? Ladies??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I am on day 18 after a rectocele and major reconstruction of perinium. He said my stitches start at 3cm deep and get deeper taking about 10 or more weeks to dissolve. I went to see him yesterday and he told me not to look again with a mirror haha because I feel it’s swollen shut inside but he checked everything and said it couldn’t be going better ??🙏💛

Anyway I am still in a lot of pain and if I’m up for more than an 30 mins I can barely walk!! So still resting and lying around loads . 

My main question is about work? Consultant has said minimum 6 weeks but it’s up to me... not helpful! He said some women have a lot longer but it’s totally up to me when I feel ready. Problem is it’s a new job I’m going to so I need to give them an idea! I currently suggested 21st May (6 weeks post op) but can’t inagine sitting in a chair all day 😫 I’m just hoping people can tell me when they started to feel ok being upright!! My job is 21 hours a week as a HR Advisor if that helps x x thanks all

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

We’re all different Laura, only you know how you feel. I took 9 weeks off and I work part-time in an office too. You will probably feel slightly more sore as the stitches start to dissolve from 5 weeks. I was lucky and didn’t have too much pain. Ask your consultant again at your 6 week post op check. Don’t do too much too soon. X 
  • Posted

Hi Laura

I had a posterior and anterior repair, plus a vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation. I had eight weeks off work, initially it was six but I need to drive for my work so my consultant said eight. I work four days a week and returning was fine, I was a bit tired but was pleased to be doing something again, I was not enjoying being at home and being so restricted in what I could do. (gardening, cleaning, lifting etc) so it was better to be busy at work! 

• Posted

Hi hun

12 weeks would be a good time.. Especially you are sitting all day? Can you manage that time scale? It's so hard isn't it as we need to survive and work but then our health is paramount. Xx

• Posted

I’m nervous to ask for 12 weeks..... it’s so frustrating as I have no idea how I will feel!!! Is 8 weeks optimistic? The commute is 45 mins each way in the car and then il have a 7 hour day but it’s only 3 days a week....

I realise I’m asking you all to predict the future but I suppose like today, I’m 18 days post op, I stood up for 1.5 hours and now I’m in agony and going to have to spend the rest of the day on my bed so I just keep forgetting how slow this recovery is 😫😫

• Posted

Oh love I know it so hard this recovery.just wish we were told before hand. They make it sound like a walk in the park😑

I'm very nervous about what job to do.My last job was standing so I decided to look for a receptionist but no luck as yet.

I would definitely take 8 weeks off due to the long day you have but would recommend you a phase return.

When I returned to my last job after first anterior repair I did 4 hrs and I was in agony with my back... Never again. Rest all you can and take each week as a goal post.Hope this helps a little hun😘😘

• Posted

Hi Laura, I also work in HR and had similar op. TBH my recovery took longer than the magic 6-8 weeks and I was 'lucky' in that as I had been doing independent interim work I didn't have to go back to work. It was not until about 12 weeks that I could sit for any longer than an hour or two but at that point are started to resume gently Pilates classes and increase my day to day activities. At 16 weeks the urogynae was satisfied that everything had healed and at that point I could get on with my life. We all heal differently bu longer than 6 - 8 weeks is not unusual. I had employees previously who had 6-8 weeks off work then 2-4 weeks gradual return to work or with reasonable adjustments following similar operations, e.g. working from home, shorter hours, longer breaks. Had I been working for an employer, I actually would have needed this level of adjustment because of the discomfort sitting/driving and issues with lifting/carrying a lap top etc. It is so important to allow time for healing as I don't think any of us would want to risk the op failing. I am 57 and in all my decades of working, I have only ever had 2 weeks off work to recover from an operation, so it did knock me sideways not being able to keep up working or having to restrict my active lifestyle. Its a major op and fragile area which can affect your quality of life dreadfully when it goes wrong so I do hope you get plenty of support on a phased rtw and adjustments. Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response, so so helpful. Im 3 weeks on now and still can barely do anything! I’m thinking of asking for 9 weeks and if they say no then I will just let the job go? Do you think that will be enough? My surgeon is literally no help at all, he just says ‘only you know’ and some people take months for the sick pay. I mean I’m sure he didn’t mean it like that but he didn’t offer me a guideline really! Sorry I realised I’m askkng you questions when you have literally given me all the answers I need. I don’t feel I can ask them for 12 weeks. AGHH!! I hope you are well and have a lovely weekend! I will be in bed 😂 xx 

• Posted

Also .... as I said the job is 45 minutes away and although only 21 hours a Week it’sa long drive and unfortunately working at home isn’t at option. It would be much easier if I weren’t going into a new job!! 
  • Posted

I echo what others have said that recovery is so personal and you should take your cues from your own body.  I took 4 weeks off but would have been much better if i had been able to take 6 weeks.  I have a full time sedentary office job, sitting mostly all day.
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply!! It seems there’s quite a large gap but in general 8-12 weeks seems the most common..... I’m thinking I might pick a random and go with 9 weeks! So confused as I’m 3 weeks now and can’t inagine sitting down even for a minute! It’s so difficult with it being a new job, they have every right to say no but il take that risk! Thank you .... xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.