Backache after Anterior and Posterior repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I had surgery on Wednesday and now have a lower back dull ache. I know its early days in recovery, just hoping this is normal. Did anybody else have similar experience?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Don't be discouraged so soon. I expected to feel well right away and went into a deep depression when I worried I never would feel normal again. But have faith. The recovery is long almost a year but then you will be so glad you had the surgery.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! This is a second surgery.I had it done 2 years ago and it failed(mostly due to my job at the time....alot of heavy lifting)I guess I dont remember the pain being this bad.I took 12 weeks off work,so that I can heal properly.Spending alot of time on the couch resting!

• Posted

Tomorrow will be a week since my anterior repair and I'm in horrible,horrible pain.I still have bad back pain but I also have arthritis in my back.This is not a easy surgery to recover from by any means.I just had my catheter removed today,so far I'm not having any issues emptying thank goodness

• Posted

I agree with Cheryl. it is hard but hang in there! Am 7 wks on from ant and 3rd post repair this time with a renowned UROgynaecologist. First 2 rect repairs done my basic gynaecologist. Am good. practically back to normal. tho no long hikes yet (my goal). The mild depression and anxiety lifted at about 5 wks. Good wishes to all.x

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. I'm struggling with feeling able to do more than my body is able to. I also had a bowel movement yesterday and felt a lump after which made me think rectal prolapse but I think was more haemorroids. Hoping I haven't done any damage. I need to rest more than I am, I think

• Posted

I think that is something we all struggle with! When you are used ho being so active every day,it's very difficult to just sit and do nothing.Especially when you get to a point where you are feeling a bit better.Are you using stool softners to help with bowel movements? I definitely recommend so you arent putting pressure during BM

• Posted

Yes I have two children 11 and 4 so they are struggling with letting mammy rest too 😁. I have had three BM without stool softeners and last night scared me into getting them today.

• Posted

oh thats tough when your children are young! My kids are 24 and 25.My 3 yr old granddaughter struggles with me not lifting her,but Im fortunate I can spend my days resting.Hoping you can get some rest and you heal well

• Posted

Thank you for all your comments.

The back ache is finally easing. Its just the longing for a bath that im battling with, the consultant said 2 weeks. Only 4 days to go lol.

• Posted

My backache has now gone, thankfully. Although I have a full feeling down below, ive had a look and because I can't remember what my pre prolapse vagina looked like I dont know whether what I am seeing is normal.

I have been doing housework but only putting washing in the machine and tumble dryer but panicking that this is too much and have done damage.

• Posted

way to early to think about doing light chores hun. any bending like that can put pressure on hesling and cause it to fail.

please rest as much as possible, you have had lots of surgery that needs knitting togetherx

• Posted

hi there just reading this did you have surgery less than 2 weeks ago? please take care think too early to he lifting wet washing into tumble drier as may put pressure on wounds. I had anterior repair three years ago (which failed) and sacrohysteropexy with posterior repair on 16th dec. So far I haven't found anyone who has similar. I had an abdominal incision for the spinal fixation and mesh, mesh needs 2-4 weeks to embed. I am not lifting loads of washing, put am hanging it up from basket on drier.

While you may feel better your tissue needs to heal. It's probably worth resting a little each day with feet up for the next few weeks. My advice indicates walking fine and can build up distance and swimming is ok after 2-3 weeks if discharge stopped. Your back ache may have been due to the operation and being in stirrups, and sleeping differently afterwards.

take care

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.

I had the operation on 11th December, I had total rest for first two weeks and then built up the housework slowly. Even now when I do housework its with long rests in between. So hopefully I have been treating myself okay.

Hope your recovery is going well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.