backache and doctor trouble

Posted , 5 users are following.

Right, I have had a bad back on and off for nearly two years and I’m getting nowhere.

I have right SI joint and lower back pain, my left side is now hurting also and I have pain in my left butt cheek that goes down the back of my leg. I also recently started getting left leg pain.

I also for the last nine weeks have been suffering with right upper back pain, which is so painful and it even hurts to breathe sometimes. I have a bad night sleep every night, my hand keeps going numb, I have neck pain all the time and sometimes I can’t even stand up if I have been sitting down! I’m not a doctor but this isn’t right! It takes me a lot to get up the nerve to go to the doctor, but every time I do it’s just take paracetamol, heat or cold therapy and go away basically! 

I love my job, but I am in so much pain every day now and I fear the pain is at a level where I will end up leaving my job.  Every time I go to my doctor he just acts like I’m after a sick note and I’m not, I’ve had less than 3 weeks off sick in 6 years and most of that was stomach bug related, or having an operation. I went to see my doctor today and he said that I have to just keep taking pain relief and wait for the pain to calm down and he had no advice for work, because I just had to go to my occupational heath at work, but he’s my doctor? Should I go to another doctor? It’s been far too long now to just “sit and wait” for the pain to go away and when I asked if I should be heavy lifting (becaue my boss asked me to find out) his words were “It’s nothing to do with me, it’s to do with you and your manager and she can write to me, but that’s a waste of his time and hers” 

There are so many people who fake back problems and get away with it! I don’t want a sick note, I don’t want to go on sick leave, I just want to be taken seriously? Should I change doctor, do I have a reason to change doctor? 

I hate going to the doctor and for me to actually go, means the pain has reached its highest level and all I get is made to feel like I’m wasting his time and I’m afraid I won’t go back again now because I feel so bad about wasing the doctors time and I’ll just end up leaving the job I love

Please advise!! 

Thanks 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I injured myself just over a year ago, severely herniated L5/S1 and a year on I’m much much better, not back to pre-injury but much better. 

Have you had an MRI to firstly know what damage you have ?

I followed the Egoscue Method for rehabilitation which looks at improving postural alignment through gentle excercises. 

I was amazed by the impact 

• Posted

Hi

I had the same problem as you up have servere spinal damage to thoracic and lumbar which caused all sorts of problems.

I owned my own company before all this and loved my job so much!!

Unfortunately after a rear ended shunt car crash it twisted my lumbar spine which was already damaged and obviously that hasn’t helped.

At first my docs and even my pain clinic couldn’t really help me and I felt robbed off like you do!! I changed my docs and my pain clinic and the results were great. I was actually taken seriously once they found the damage and worked with me to get at least a little better. I am still working with neuro and docs who are very helpful.

However if I speak to a diff doc in the surgery it’s very hard to get anything from them for example medications or referrals.

Unfortunately this all happens to late to save my company and I lost everything I am now disabled and cannot ever work again due to the chronic pain and companies won’t have me on site in case something happens they become liable.

My arvsje is to change doctors and see if that helps. Pls don’t give up the job you love because someone won’t take you seriously I had to fight and fight hard to get the help I bldesoeratly needed but it was worth it.

I know what’s its like to loose everything I loved it’s awful and hard to deal with so please try anything else before consider leaving a job you love. You may never find another one like it.

I’m sorry if it sounds depressing but I wanted to be honest and advise from experience.

I hope that’s ok and remember if you don’t make noise they won’t take any notice of you. That’s how I did it wouldn’t let it go until they finally did something.

I hope I have helped in some way and I wish you the best of luck for the future and hope you get it sorted.

Take care

Andy

• Posted

Ask your doctor about Soma pain relief medication as it is very effective for all physical pain.Make sure you consult your doctor about it because the consumption of Soma medication should be according to doctor prescription and directions.
  • Posted

Firstly I would change your doctor, then I would ask to be sent for an MRI. In the meantime you could talk to a chiropractor explain your symptoms and hopefully be re aligned giving you some relief in your hip and lower back, because this has gone on for a while there's a chance that this has put strain on your upper back because your posture will be all out causing a domino effect up your spine, make sure it's a recommendation, there are some fantastic chiro docs out there and this treatment could work wanders for you, I hope you get sorted soon 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.