Backache since having children

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would love to know if anyone has the same type of back pain. I have suffered general backache since the birth of my first child 19 years ago. I have been able to manage it though. Lately it has been getting worse. I can go for brisk walks, swim & dance. I can't understand how I find it unbearable to stand for any length of time. The burning pain is just below my shoulder blades and I immediately feel the need to sit down. Its like carrying a heavy rucksack that I need to let go of!. Sometimes, I even feel like lying on the floor. At least I can do this at home but obviously not in public. Has anyone experienced this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have never had children but did slip and fall heavily on the base of my spine at 19.  Every since I have suffered back pain.  It was manageable much more when I was young but since hitting my 50's has been quite bad.  Have you seen the doctor?  If not you need to.

Your doctor will probably refer you for physio (in the UK) and it's worth going and you will be taught some exercises to do at home.  If they help fine but if not you go back to physio and ask for more help.

I will say in my experience doctors are reluctant to help and the most they usually do is refer you to physio and give you painkillers.  You are better off paying to visit an osteopath or maybe a chiropractor though you will have to pay.  This is what I have done when the pain is bad.  I cannot stand still for more than 20 seconds without pain and walking more than about 200 yards brings it on.  It's awful isn't it and you do have my sympathy. 

When you are my age doctors tell you it's normal and age related so you can't win.  I hope you find some answers.  x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am 52 now so I agree with you that age doesn't help! Doctor has referred me for physio and given me co-codamol, though I find most painkillers don't really work so don't take them. I went to a chiropractor & he thinks its posture related. Two days ago, I bought a posture support for the upper back. The relief I have standing is unbelievable. I would definitely recommend one. I'm going to start Pilate's soon. Best wishes

• Posted

Hi is it upper back pain you are having or lower back or all over?  Mine is mainly lower back.  I would love to know which one you bought please and where from as it might help me as well.  x

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your back troubles... Sounds like you are going through a lot of pain and discomfort. I was going through the same thing for 3-4 years until i found a book called Healing Back Pain By: Dr John E Sarno. After finding a cure for my back pain i said i will reach out to everyone i can. 

3 Years ago I was in a car accident that caused a whip lash in my neck which resulted into major Neck, Back and Left Arm pain. After MRI's and Ex rays doctors told me i have a C5-C6 herniated Disc. After 2 years of Physical Therapy, injections, seeing neurologist and spinal doctors nothing could help. My Back surgeon advised surgery and I thought that was my way out of this misery. 3 months later I had the surgery and i finally started feeling better! I continued to get rehab and massages for a year and a half after the surgery and i felt great! All of a sudden the pain came back with a vengeance. At this point i could not bare the pain i was dealing with.. I could not sleep, lift, sit or lay down without feeling some kind of pain or extreme discomfort. 

This is when i found Dr. John E Sarno's Book. I've been reading all of his books this year and i can finally say i cured my back pain. This may sound crazy to some of you but what most of you are experiencing is not actually "back pain". It is oxygen deprivation that is making you think you have a back abnormality. We have a conscious and an unconscious mind. Most of you may have thoughts or repressed anger in your unconscious that you may have never addressed or faced. What your body is doing is distracting your mind from reaching into your unconscious by causing you to focus on a physical pain such as Back pain, Leg pain, Sciatica and so on. 

Unfortunately Dr. John E Sarno is no longer with us and has passed this summer. I do not work for him or any of his colleagues trying to sell his book. I'm just a normal guy that experienced all of your troubles. Its an easy read and the book is 8 dollars on Amazon. Give it a try and you will thank me later.          

Reviews on Amazon speak for themselves smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.