Backpain left from waist/lower ribs down to buttocks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi!

I have been having this weird left sided back pain since a few months, but it is not always there, or at least not always so intense that I notice it or am really bothered by it.

The pain starts around/under my left lower ribs in the back and goes down to my buttocks. The kind of pain isn't always the same. Sometimes burning, sometimes sharp, sometimes dull and achy and even sometimes throbbing while having the sensation of feeling my heartbeat in that area when I lay down.

I have no problems with peeing. My pee is normal and peeing or holding it in for a while doesn't make my back hurt more. I have problems with constipation off and on, but I haven't found a relation between being constipated and having more pain or finding relief when using stool softeners and getting rid of the constipation.

Massaging the area or stretching and moving doesn't make any difference. The only thing that brings a bit of relief is applying a lot of pressure by pushing on the area really hard.

I don't know if I should go to a doctor for this. It is annoying, especially when it is so bad that I can't sleep or am in pain constantly (Tylenol, Ibuprofen and stuff don't help at all), but it can also be almost unnoticeable for a few hours up to days.

Could anybody advise me on what to do and what things to make sure to check for? I am very laid back (but still serious enough) when it comes to health stuff, so I won't be freaking out thinking I have all kinds of terrible diseases. I'm no hypochondriac at all, so I would be happy to hear about possible causes so that things can be ruled out.

Thank you so much!

Love,

Susanne

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey, so sorry to hear you are suffering sweetheart.

Back pain can be unbearable.

As you have tried over the counter pain relief I suggest asking your GP for a referal for an MRI.

It could be something simple such as a poor mattress, posture at work, driving, but more seriously could be a disc problem in spine, so best to rule out anything which could become worse over time.

If you start to feel any saddle/bottom/groin numbness or bladder disfunction by way of either incontinence or retention (unable to pee), pins and needles in legs/feet, then get this checked urgently. Cauda Equina syndrome is a very serious back condition which should not be left untreated. So if you have any red flags as I mentioned above, then seek medical advice straight away.

Good Luck

Hugs x

• Posted

sorry to hear you are in pain I would go see your GP for some good pain relief and then get some tests done good luck and please keep us posted ❤

• Posted

Hi no one hear can tell you what this is as there are lots of possible causes. You really need to see a doctor. Keep a log of what happens when to help your doctor determine a cause. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.