Backwards again....

Posted , 8 users are following.

well  the boot has gone, nothing on my foot now.....but.... The swelling has got bigger  and more painful,  six weeks on  and  I feel it's backwards again. I can't stand anything on the scar tissue, I'm still in my husbands slippers.  How grotty is that... It still feels like  someone is  trying to saw my big toe off.  But it's been x rayed  and looks fine the consultant said. I've got physio for six weeks,  tell me this is to be expected. 

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anita, so sorry to hear there's no improvement yet. I had hoped that another week would make a difference. I was back at work today. My walking is much better but the swelling is massive tonight.no elevating all day of course. I iced and elevated as soon as I got home and will do so again later. I feel I'm getting there now at 8 weeks but as soon as I sit down everything stiffens up again. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and there is a big difference since a week ago so just hang in there x
  • Posted

Well it's 8 weeks today from scarf op. Here  we go. I have managed to wear my mules and crocs, no way can I get  a shoe on at all. The joint is still swollen, blue and red.  I have got  exercises to do, they hurt so it must be doing me good.  It's very painful  at the spot where the bunion was. I've been massaging the foot with e45 cream and  over the scars as they are so tight.  It's really a slow recovery,  I don't know how people manage to go back to work so soon.  I have taken back possession  of my kitchen and  the washing machine so I've got to be getting better. I would also like to thank you all for contacting me. Please tell me how you are progressing, it's so good to know  how other people  manage with this recovery. 
    • Posted

Hi Anita

would you mind sharing what exercises you are doing?

I am a great believer of movement and exercises and I started moving my toes and ankle at about 4 weeks post surgery.  I am at 6 weeks mark now and about to start weight bearing so time to get serious about exercising.  I know it is a slow and gradual recovery but I also know that it is a better recovery if supported by sensible exercise program,  so please share if you do not mind

• Posted

I have several types of exes to do, mainly to try and get the foot mobile. Sitting and raising the heel up  and down putting light pressure onto  the  toe, to get it to bend, mine does not want to..... Another is to  roll onto side of foot  and then onto opposite side  got to hold for  several seconds in these positions, another is to stretch onto  up onto ball of foot when standing. Very hard for me but got to keep trying.... There are several more, they can be found on physio tools, can you find that, mine was given to me from. Physio dept.
    • Posted

Thanks Anita,  I will see if I can talk to physio in hospital on Wednesday,  otherwise it seems that it is moving anything and everything in every direction possible (just joking,  although there is some truth in that statement).  All the best,  keep moving it really helps in a long run although it hurts to start with.  
    • Posted

Anita, you sound like you're on the mend at last, well done for reclaiming the kitchen. My feet won't fit into anything, bar walking sandells so I'm ok for fair weather. I've started to wear some flight compression socks, which actually gives me more confidence for walking around, bit diddly to get on, but comfortable. I'll be 8 weeks in this coming Thursday and back to work on Friday, not looking forward to it as I'll be desk bound until Easter. 

Caroline

• Posted

Well Anita I'm now 9 weeks and feel some progress today . Seem to be walking better today at work. Managed to wear a proper shoe (which used to be too big) all day. Last week I only lasted the morning in it. Still lots of swelling though and I'm wearing boots light support knee high socks which help a bit. Seem to be going in the tight direction.
  • Posted

It's 9 weeks today from op. Progress is so slow. The joint is still swollen and does not want to move,  I'm doing the exercises.  The scars are still so tight.   I've managed to get into a lace up shoe, but not for long  as I'm limping a bit this has upset the opposite knee and a back problem that I had already,  oh dear.  Perhaps another week  will see progress,  how are you all doing?
    • Posted

Hi Anita, walking better now at 10 weeks but foot and ankle really swollen as at work and can't elevate. I have odd aches and pains in back and other leg. I have to force myself to walk properly. Guess one day I'll do it without thinking. Hope that days not too long coming.
  • Posted

Anita, I'm walking (zombie like) and still can't get the feet in any shoe other than the walking sandals. Still very swollen and painful. I'm finding going downstairs very awkward. I haven't got as much mobility in my knee and hips that I had previously and still not sleeping well at night due to various aches and pains. But, I had ankle bones last night, first time I've seen them in ages and getting back to work is dragging me back to normality. The scarring is tight, but that's not surprising as my feet are so swollen. considering what they (I) was like 7 weeks ago they're OK, I know in the future I'll be very pleased that I've had this done, but I'm hating the slow progress and the lack of mobility, and the pain, and the shere frustration of the healing process..

Caroline x 

• Posted

this will cheer you up........ I've just looked into my shoe cupboard and looked again at all the shoes I can't wear...... I've managed to get into some old Ecco lace ups , unlaced on   Left foot. Only have to take them off after  short time. Then back into fleecy mules. I can't get the swelling down on the big toe joint, it seems immobile. I'm doing the exercises,  it will be ten weeks next Monday. Oh well . I wonder how the others are all doing.....
  • Posted

Anita,

I'll raise you one left foot half pair of new Skechers lace ups, foot squashed in and removed immediately. I'm off for my first visit to the physiotherapist next Tuesday, it seems that my surgeon forgot to refer me, so much for medical insurance!

I'm now looking lovingly at my husbands walking boots having stolen his Birkenstocks. Both feet are swollen to above the ankles, and my right foot is extremely painful above the arch where the plate was inserted. I feel very jealous of those who have had MIS, rather than the open cast mining that I had. But, thankfully, from reading a newer post, I didn't have to inject myself, how bad is that! Hopefully, by Easter everything will be brilliant and I should be able to get into those boots that I bought myself for Christmas -  although the weather might not be compatible with Doc martins lace ups, but I'm going to wear them anyway. cheesygrin

• Posted

Well it's ten weeks from op today.  My progress is that I can keep an Ecco  lace up shoe on , unlaced,   As soon as I can lace it up I'm off, to try walking, I've managed to go shopping like it,   By car.....  I'm doing the physio, the joint is still swollen  and really does not want to move much without pain, but I'm trying. The result of walking much more  is that it's upset the arthritis in the opposite knee and  my back trouble is worse,  but I won't be beaten,  keeping as mobile as I can,   Got to fight these things.  Oh and I'm driving the car again, so there's progress, don't need my left foot at all.    I can also sink into a lovely bath now, luxury,   So things are looking up at last,  I would like to know how all of you are going along as well. What are your latest  hurdles and how are you overcoming them?
    • Posted

Hi Anita, good to hear you're making some progress now. Everyone's different and if just takes time. I'm 11 weeks now and still can only wear trainers or a pair of m and s wide fitting shoes.  I've been measuring my foot in the morning and the swelling is going down but very slowly. At this rate it'll be next year before I can wear normal shoes😥 but I am walking better but with aches and pains in my legs. I need to get back to some exercise as everything is seizing up!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.