Backwards update.

Posted , 6 users are following.

well it's 13 weeks now from scarf op. Joint of big toe still swollen and does not like bending. I'm sad that I still can't get into many of my shoes, can wear lace ups and one pair of best shoes , wide fit. So must be grateful, I'm walking better and distance getting better.  Still doing foot exercises.  The scar  across where the bunion was is still lumpy, still massaging cream in.  I had hoped for  faster progress but must be grateful to have got so far,  is anyone else at the 13 week stage and how are they  getting on.  

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anita, I'm at 14 weeks now from scarf op on left foot. Toe bending not too bad but foot still swollen and like you can only wear wide trainers and one wide fitting pair of shoes. It's frustrating isn't it? I'm walking much better though compared to a few weeks ago when I  thought I'd never walk properly again. I can walk much faster too. I'm going on holiday next week to visit my new granddaughter in Cyprus and had hoped to be in sandals but I'm afraid that's not gonna happen. Back at work full time so only elevating for a couple of hours at night so I guess that doesn't help the swelling.
    • Posted

Hi, I'm 12 weeks post op... Bunion and nevroma , hammer toe on right foot.. Not able to bend big toe, still very swollen and painful. Can't wear normal shoes... I'm concern to was hoping to be a lot better by now... Good luck!
    • Posted

Please tell me how you got on and look at my new  backwards update. You will see I had further problems.
  • Posted

Hi everyone I am 12 weeks post op ( had a bi-lateral MICA). My walking is pretty good now but my feet do tend to become swollen. I did find some men's Crocs open toe sandalsin leather which I am able to wear. You may like to look at something along those lines. Have quite a grand wedding to attend mid April and hoping I will be able to get into some reasonable elegant shoes by then!!
  • Posted

I am 11 weeks post surgery and have the same difficulties as all others in this thread.  I have seen my surgeon today and he told me to slow down,  listen to my pain and be patient.  He said I will have at least another 3 months of pain and swelling and that is normal,  they just dont like to tell you that in the beginning as some people get discouraged.  I have screws in my big toe and some other fractures in my fore foot and he suggested that my shoes should have as much padding under sole as possible as it will help with pain.  He really stressed to take it slowly and walk less rather then more
  • Posted

I have now started my daily walks, this must be progress, I'm only in  old walking lace ups. I have struggled as I haven't done this since last November.really out of practice.  It's not miles only  about 40 mins, on the flat.   But got to do it, as getting unfit and out of condition. Not good, the walking of distance makes underneath the foot hurt as well as the toe joint. I'm hoping the more I do the easier it will be.  I'm still looking in the shoe cupboard and  thinking will I ever get into all my shoes again.... Ever..... I keep trying every few days in hope but no way.....  I'm not going to rush to have the other bunion on my right foot done. Keep your information coming as to how you are all  progressing.
  • Posted

I'm 13 weeks, bilateral lapidus & Atkins, still  having physio, but only started that 2 weeks ago. Have great days followed by bad.  Can only fit into 2pairs of shoes depending on the swelling and the pressure on scars. The thing that is really bugging me is not being able to bend my knees fully to be able to sit on the floor, or bend my left leg up whilst sitting on a chair/settee or what ever. I feel I've regressed to toddler mode, wobbly walking, and if I go down to floor level I have to crawl to a chair to pull myself up, grrrrr.  But, in defiance of everyone, and my feet,  and with the blessing of the physiotherapist have started a beginners pole dancing class (low impact on feet, so ok) I maybe the eldest (60) but I'm fitter than some of the young ones and it's great to get out and do something different, I just hope I won't regret it.

caroline xxx

• Posted

can I have up dates as to how you are all progressing, please look at my new backwards update. It don't look good ........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.