Baclofen experiences

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 44 year old male alcoholic from UK and living in Indonesia. I never drink in the daytime but around sunset is my witching hour when I find it almost impossible not to drink and then just as hard to stop. I've just read about Baclofen. Would love to hear others' experiences of it. What dosage? Can you really drink socially when taking it? Can you take it one day and not the next? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I tried baclofen several years ago, read the book, got the drugs on line as Dr didn't agree with it. Had a very bad experience with it when drinking and was in hospital for a week. You can't drink on it. My advice, don't go down that route, look into nalmefene instead. Good luck...
    • Posted

Thanks. I've not heard of Nalmefene, will look into it. What actually happened to you when drinking?
  • Posted

Hi Ned,

I tried Baclofen and it worked.After 2 weeks I just stopped thinking, wanting, being interested in alcohol.  I still drink socially, my average consumption being 0.6 unit a day. It has been 2 years now and I have stopped taking the drug after 18 month. 

The issue with this drug is that its effect is dose dependent and that the working dose varies with each patient (from 30 to 300mg /day).  Also you CANNtOT take high dose or stop taking it brutally because of very serious side effects. This is why getting a KNOWLEDGEABLE doctor is essential.

Unlike namalfene, baclofen effects have been demonstrated (see BACLAD study 68 vs 25 % over 9 months).

Any questions? just ask.

• Posted

Thanks for replying Sophie. Really appreciate it. I started taking it on Sunday, 10mg, 4 times a day. I'm feeling really spaced out. I drank last night, maybe more than usual if anything. But woke up without a hangover which is most unusual. Just felt s bit fuzzy and in a good mood. How much did you drink before you took it? Did you consider your alcoholic or alcohol dependent? Thanks for your help. I'm in Indonesia and finding a knowledgeable doctor isn't easy here. Not on this subject anyway...
  • Posted

I have been sober for 35 days, today being my 36th. I am on Antibuse and doing ok, the thing is I feel  like a bit of me is missing.  Not a good feeling.  I am doing a lot to keep busy and taking up old hobbiesbut it's a niggling.  I was drinking 1 litre of vodka a day but still on the whole functional.  I wonder if anyone has any advice?
  • Posted

Sorry ned5836 I couldn't see wher to start my own discussion but I see how to now  
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to comment on this thread and hope you find advice on your new post. Have you admitted to yourself you are an alcoholic and need help? AA not a bad place to start. I spent 3 months there when things were really bad a few years ago. Let me know if you have Qs about AA or anything else, here to help and thanks again...
    • Posted

Hi ned58436,  yes I have admitted that I'm an alcoholic and have done so to my family too.  I have been an alcoholic for years now and no, I wouldn't or couldn't admit it even to myself.  I have found things a lot easier having admited it openly.  Thank you for getting back to me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.