baclofen for cervical spondylosis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just been prescribed baclofen for cv.  1  10 mg tablet twice a day.  I am a yong 70 year old! Took 1 last night and just felt sleepy.   Woke up this morning a little 'can't be bothered'.  Decided to take half a tablet and still feel very lethargic,  Still in my dressing gown at 12!!!  It does seem to have lessened the pain though. Does anyone know if I will eventually get used to these tablets and be able to carry on as I would normally do.  I am usually a busy person! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Havnt tried these tablets yet, but most of them make u quite lethargic, and if u are use to. Being active they really slow you down and I am not happy with that

I have had gabapentin and another  one and neither helped pain just made me feel dozy, just had injections but not really  improved anything..Hoping for some miracle cure.

• Posted

Hi Lamamma8

I  am taking pregabaline/morphine patches/ and oramorph. I dont like feeling really slow and lethargic but what do you do? I dont think anyone is happy with that but anniemag should see her GP and see what he says about it. not long ago i had facet joint injections in hips did not do any thing but it was  worth a try.If you find some miracle cure let me know lol  rolleyes 

• Posted

.Hello  Lamamma,  thank you for your reply.  My GP  prescribed gabapentin and eventually referred me to the spinal unit.  I took 1 gabapentin the first night but next morning I felt really ill and queasy and couldn't get my words out!!!  Didn't take any more!   Saw a consultant on Friday who prescribed the baclofen.  It is a muscle relaxant. He said the neck muscles were very tight in addition to the deterioration in the bones which were pressing on the nerve. It did help but I still had no energy or motivation.   Didn't get showered and dressed until 2 pm!!!!  So last night instead of 1 tablet I took 1/2 and this morning I have taken 1/4 instead of a whole one.  Feel ok at the moment but haven't attempted to do anything yet!!!     I have read a lot about the injections and was hoping that if it didn't improve I would be referred for them but after reading all the write-ups about them I don't think I want them now!!!  Hope you will feel better soon.  Anne

• Posted

Yes that was it Pregabalin was the other tablet my neck felt better but it affected my legs very painful. Oh well I am managing at the moment until I go for follow up in Dec.

• Posted

I do hope u get sorted , it helps one thing but you suffer with something else .take care Anne keep reporting..
  • Posted

Hi anniemag

never had those myself so i cannot help you i think it is nearly all pain killers has that effect and i sometimes think the more times you take them the more you become used to them. I would suggest you go and see your GP and tell him what they are like maybe he will prescribe something different.Have you been taking them for long? He might suggest you try them for a while if you have just started to take them? I was like that when i started taking oramorph and also when i started with the morphine patches (still could not sleep) just felt sleepy.Your GP might just reduce the strength? I hope he sorts it out for you and you are soon up and running (so to speak)!!!Hope to hear from you soon and take care

jeanetterolleyes  

• Posted

.Hello Jeanette,thank you for your reply. My GP doesn't seem to want to do anything!  I made 6 appointments in 7 months before I was referred for physio which didn't do any good!   Returned to GP who prescribed gabapentin and referred me to the spinal unit.  I took 1 gabapentin the first night but next morning I felt really ill and queasy and couldn't get my words out!!!  Didn't take any more!   Saw a consultant on Friday who prescribed the baclofen.  It is a muscle relaxant. He said the neck muscles were very tight in addition to the deterioration in the bones which were pressing on the nerve. It did help but I still had no energy or motivation.   Didn't get showered and dressed until 2 pm!!!!  So last night instead of 1 tablet I took 1/2 and this morning I have taken 1/4 instead of a whole one.  Feel ok at the moment but haven't attempted to do anything yet!!!  Many thanks for your kind thoughts.     Anne

• Posted

Hi Anniemag

I take baclofen daily. It has helped me like no other med has, but only for the muscle tightness and pain caused by spasms. It hasn't helped with nerve pain or other CS symptoms. I take a fair concoction of meds (tramadol, pregabalin, amitriptyline) and they do help, but at 1st the side effects are stronger than the relief you get and only time and perseverence will get you past it. For me it's well worth the tiredness and drunk feelings, eventually (2-3 weeks) those side effects wear off and the true effects start kicking in.

Best of luck

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.