Bacteria UTI infection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well I was hoping not to get this but it is here, a UTI and the burning.  It is so painful and uncomfortable..  The doc gave me bactrum and told me to use gyno-lotrium but does anyone have any other suggesstions on how to feel better

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cara,

It's a good idea to find out what type of bacteria was cultured in your urine and to keep track.  Many women begin to suffer with repeat UTI's after hysterectomy because of bacterial vaginosis.  The antibiotic will clear the infection from your bladder, but the bacteria in your vagina can move into your urethra again and you can get another one.  Your doctor is aware of this, and that's why you were also given the vaginal medication.   

Without estrogen, the tissues in your vagina, urethra and bladder become less resilient and it's easer for the bacteria to attach and grow there.  You can find out what to do on the UTI forum on this site.  

• Posted

Great, something fun to look forward to, OMG why?????

I will look at the forum, thank you

• Posted

Probiotics would certainly help, especially the cultures known for female health!  smile. As Cara's just getting over surgery, though I was going to wait a bit before suggesting them.  I have begun to have utis, though I have taken probiotics orally.  Now going to start using them vaginally as soon as I get off my current antibiotics.

For women who have no or very low estrogen, vaginitis has been found to play a part in reoccuring uti's.  Her doctor knew about this and prescribed the vaginal antibiotic.

I'm going back to my obgyn to ask him to look at me and suggest something.  smile   

• Posted

Oh man, that sucks! I ended up with bacterial vaginosis after giving birth from the catheter. I was hoping and praying that it wouldn't happen again after my surgery. I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you!

• Posted

2 weeks 2 days post op and the UTI is gone, YAY the urine culture came back negative!  I am so happy thats gone, I think that was worse than the surgery but YEAH its gone!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Dear Cara, I had full hysteractomy 2 months ago, no sex and I got Uti and yeast infection, the doctor gave nitrofurantoin 100 mg two for a day 7 days, I was wondering what medicine you had that your uti is gone. 

Thank you

• Posted

They gave me Bactrum, it seemed to clear the UTI up, I never had a yeast infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.