Bacterial Vaginosis/Yeast infection for 2 months with no relief

Posted , 3 users are following.

Starting about 2 months ago after working out for a month I started to feel a little odd down there. A little itch. It got worse with sex. Now I really regret having sex that night. My vulva is red and irritated looking and is sore and sometimes feels like a burning sensation. It was much worse when it all started and has gone from feeling absolutely horrible (felt like my vaginal opening was prickly, painful, and sore even when I sat down) to feeling like I can still function and be kind of normal but I know there's something still really wrong (still just as red and irritated looking but not as sore) I have an every once and a while itch. Usually occurring when I am moving around, taking a walk, etc.  I've been to see 5 doctors. These have been my diagnosis in order. Yeast infection and UTI, bacterial vaginosis, possible herpes (test came out negative), yeast infection only external not internal, and my last hope doctor diagnosed with with an external yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. I always thought as a woman who has had yeast infections in the past that I can just go to the doctor, get medicine, and I'd be fine. Not true at all for this case. I got my first bout of bacterial vaginosis in October about 5 months before this bout. I took flagyl and a diflucan after and it went away. This time I thought for sure I had another bv case. But this one didn't go away. I have not had complete symptom relief in about 55 days and it's driving me nuts. I've cried more than I ever have in my entire life. I was constantly looking down there with a hand mirror and touching different areas to see what looked the most red and what felt painful. At one point I thought I just had hemmeroids because my first worst symptom felt like it was coming more from my perineum and anal area than my vagina. I've had several prescription creams and oral antibiotics that did not help one bit. I am also not sure if they didn't help because I wasn't on them long enough or because they really didn't work. This last doctor along with a pill and a cream has suggested I go to planned parenthood and rule out any other stds or other underlying problems (I don't have health insurance so most of the doctors haven't run any extensive tests since they knew it would be so expensive for me) she also had me go to a natural alternatives store to get fem dolphius probiotics and vitamin D 50000. I am supposed to take the probiotic 2 times a day and the vitamin D 4 times a week. I finished my bv meds that I was prescribed (tindazole) but not the cream for the yeast. I did 4 out of 7 days. The only reason I didn't finish it is because I came to the realization that I have been touching my vulva once a day for the last 50 some odd days and I really wanted to take a break from looking and touching it to see if that helped any. I have done research on the particular type of probiotic I am taking. Apparently it has helped a bunch of woman from both yeast infections and BV. If this is truly what I have I am hoping that this will eventually help me too. However some women feel symptom relief within a couple days and some other women seem to not get relief until a couple months have gone by. My fiancé is being patient with me and we hardly have sex anymore because 1. We don't want to get pregnant and 2. This ailement of mine makes sex feel not so good. I have an appointment with planned parenthood in a couple days and I plan to ask them to check me for stds, diabetes, maybe my hormone levels, and to confirm that I indeed still have a yeast infection, BV or both. My wedding is in 4 months. I am desperate to get rid of this before then but I keep reading stories about women who have had this for weeks, months, sometimes YEARS! With no definitive answers or things that have worked. I'd like to also add that just yesterday I started a clean diet and am cutting out bread, added sugar, and any and all junk food. I was not that unhealthy to begin with and I drink only water anyways but I figure since I'm trying to lose weight for my wedding that it couldn't hurt. And one more thing I'd like to add is that I have been told to ask a doctor to check to see if I have lichen sclerosis as well and I plan on mentioning that in my appointment. I almost wish I did have an std (a curable one) so that I can just take a pill and be done with this. This is stressing me out but I have come to terms that in order to get better or to try and get better I need to calm down, breathe, and not be desperately looking at my vagina every day for changes. As long as I don't feel right I know there is something wrong. I really hope all the women who have been experiencing things like this get better too and that we can all live a normal life again. Please comment with any other remedies you may have found helpful or any advice. It makes me feel a bit better that I am not alone in this but it's still hard not to cry. Who knew that my sex life was actually super important to me. I used to love masterbating (I know TMI) and feeling normal during sex.... I'm so over this 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chelsea,

I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this, I feel your pain! For the past year I have suffered from BV on and off.

I went to multiple dr appointments, started eating healthy (no sugar or carbs) and took a probiotic once a day. I tried this for a few months, and nothing really seemed to change other than the BV symptoms weren't as intense. 

Finally, I did some research on folic acid and went for it. I’ve been taking folic acid 400 mcg once a day for the past 6 months and can you believe it’s gone?! I finally feel normal again and have a normal sex life. Try the folic acid and a good probiotic, it worked wonders for me. 

I really hope this helps, stay positive. Don’t let this stupid BV get in the way of one of the best days of your life! 

• Posted

I actually have folic acid at home and I may start to add that in with my probiotic and vitamin D. I do see a lot of women posting about certain things that work for them and it gets me hoping maybe just maybe it'll work for me too. Anything is worth a shot 

• Posted

How long did it take for the folic acid to work for you?
  • Posted

It took about a month tops, after a few weeks I was already feeling back to normal down there. I also diluted organic apple cider vinegar with water and soaked a tampon in it, I tried that for a few weeks and it helped as well. 

I feel the prescriptions they provide for BV only makes it come back or it never really improves, at least for me. 

All I can say is stay positive, stressing over BV will drive you mad.. I’ve been there. There is light at the end of the tunnel girl, hang in there! 

• Posted

Yeah I agree with you that medicine seems to make it come back. Or isn't effective the second time around. I've now read lots of women's testimonies and there is a lot more to this. I'm trying to be patient and less stressed and try things to see if they work. But it's stressful waiting too because you never know when it'll work or if it'll ever work. I've learned that sometimes probiotics and other stuff can take a long time to work so I'm staying hopeful and trying to do my best to stay away from antibiotics for now 

• Posted

Hey Chelsea. I read your post, and like you that yeast_bv drove me crazy for a long time. I pray it goes away for you. One thing you have to keep note on what makes you feel better. All our bodies are different and you have to listen to your body. I notice when I drink more water and less acid I feel better. I even shower with plain water or bathe in acv, I stem away from harsh soaps. I also make my boyfriend pull out, that semen inside you is a no no. I take folic acid every other day. I don't wear tight underwear or tight clothes. I try to let my vajayjay breathe. Inserting a vitamin c with rosehips overnight seems to do the trick. Follow these tips, I'm sure you will feel better. Dont let bv stop you. Good luck. Hope I could help.

• Posted

Thank you for your comment. I'm also trying to figure out what makes me feel better and what makes me feel worse. My fiancé has always pulled out so I know semen hasn't been a problem. When you say you insert vitamin c and rosehips what do you mean? Is there a vitamin c suppository? And I've never heard of rosehips before. But I think I have a good list going to what seems to work for different women and I guess over time I will try them all. 

• Posted

Hello again Chelsea. I pray you get well soon. The vitamin C w/ rose hips is pill form. You can find at a local pharmacy around 8 or 9 bucks. I insert 1 overnight when I feel not so fresh. I feel better when I wake up. Make sure you do your research before you try.
    • Posted

Thank you I will give this a try and research it. Does it help with irritation and redness too? Those might not be symptoms you experience but those are my most worrisome and bothersome symptoms 
  • Posted

While you are trying to treat it, I advice you to not have sex. The healing process going to take alot of patience and getting to learn what is causing it. Your ph_balance may be the problem.
    • Posted

Doctor said yesterday my ph was normal at 4.5. She also said I have an external yeast infection and she said she didn't see anything that looked like bv. But my symptoms are still here so it must be a very persistent yeast... she gave me 2 diflucan to take 3 days apart and 2 prescription creams to mix together and apply twice a day for 2 weeks. If I don't see improvement after one week I'm supposed to go back and see her... I feel like I'm always thinking about my symptoms I just wish I could forget about them for a little while

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.