Bad Acne because of epilepsy meds??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all!!

I take Lacosamide & Pregabalin, for the last 12 months I have terrible acne on my face (particularly my jaw line and neck) The spots are like cysts and are very painful and very ugly!!

As well as this I have gained a crazy amount of weight (3 stone in 3 months) I rarely go out now as I'm so self conscious plus non of my clothes fit!!

Has anyone else found they have acne and weight gain with their meds?

My GP has tried different spot treatments to no avail and has run out of suggestions!!

I hope I'm not alone!!

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why are you taking Pregabalin for Epilepsy? Or do you suffer from other muscle pain?

Regards,

• Posted

Sorry I should have explained I also have Fibromyalgia, PTSD and ME. I take Lacosamide, Pregabalin, Amytriptaline, Zomorph and Mirtazapine.

I have only noticed the acne and weight gain since starting the Pregabalin and Lacosamide. But it's really getting me down.

Thanks, Jen

• Posted

Ah, now I understand why you are on Pregabalin, which would account for the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. Pregabalin can cause numerous Dermatology problems, and mixed with other medications can cause the side-effects to become worse.

Amitriptyline can be used as an antidepressant in higher does, or as pain relief in lower doses.

Many people think if any new symptoms appear when they are introduced to new medication, they automatically assume the new medication is at fault - but this is not true in all cases.

There are many medications that only cause reactions, if they are mixed with other medication.

Quite a lot of the medication you are taking can cause weight gain, by that I am referring to 3 of them.

• Posted

hi do you have any links etc re pregabelin causing fibro? I believe you just wanted something to show the neurologist as I was on Pregabelin for epilepsy and now am in agony  with fibro. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi,

I was on keppra for 3 years and never suffered from acne until they changed my meds, last September they changed me to lamitcal and 2 weeks later I had spots all over my cheeks and jaw, horrible, side effects I was getting were horrible from lamitcal and I also got a seizure 1st December so they changed me to vimpat then, I am only finishing lamictal now as had to reduce slowly and on 100mg vimpat morning and 100mg vimpat evening but since Xmas my acne has got worse and not getting better, big red painful spots on jaw and neck, so depressing, clusters of them, the spots that I got in October are still there and leaving red marks, every morning I wake up with a new one, don't want to go anywhere and hiding away, don't know if it's lamitcal causing it and vimpat made it worse!

Hopefully clear now once off lamitcal but if not then it's vimpat making spots so sore and there's loads of them, forehead covered in small ones, and the big ones are on cheeks and jaw, neck or it could be hormonal as they are chopping and changing my contraception pill too as I have high blood pressure, but my skin got very bad when I started çhanging meds and I don't know which one is causing it!

Wish I never moved from keppra! Was getting bad vertigo from it and anxiety but had clear lovely skin and never had a seizure on it, when I moved had a seizure and haven't felt right since the seizure, very detached feeling all the time and spacey and the spots making me miserable, waiting for dermologist app now as can't take combined pill with high blood pressure, I'm nearly 40 and acne covered face, hiding from my husband, runing into bed at night with no make up so he won't see me as my confidence down! Like a teenager!

You are not alone!

Only thing is I lost weight, I'm eating the same, but loosing weight which is a bit worrying as I'm thin anyway and look miserable if I go thinner xx

• Posted

Yes , I think Acne and excessive hair growth are associated with epilepsy medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.