Bad and Bitter Taste Sensation

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past week, I've had this bitter taste that won't go away, even after brushing. I have excellent, OCD-type oral hygiene (no exaggeration whatsoever) that still won't help give me relief. The bad taste goes away after hard and very thorough brushing, but comes back after just few hours and stays that way all through the day and night.

I simply couldn't finish eating the very first time that I experienced it last week. It's mostly a bad taste, and sometimes it turns bitter. Note that bad oral care has absolutely no relevance to this issue. It's becoming a major concern to me. Does anyone here have any idea what this bad/bitter taste sensation might be? Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Google "dysgeusia" and see if this condition applies to you.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. But I must apologize for taking too long to reply; I've been so busy lately.

I'd actually researched on that condition, and I feel pretty confident that it does not apply to me. For one, the bitter/bad taste sensation that I feel every now and then does not affect my sense of taste, meaning that I can tell if food is bitter, sour, salty, sweet, insipid, etc. So, it's quite puzzling.

• Posted

David,

Have you had any dental work done lately? My husband had a filling done September of 2014 lost his sense of taste however when he tries to eat his tongue feels like it is swelling and he gets a horrible taste in his mouth that will not go away. He also has tinnitus brought on by the dentist hitting the chorda tympani nerve when giving him the anesthesia for the filling. It's all connected but, the Dr's will not acknowledge it. If you did have dental work have the Dr's prescribe a steroid and vitamin B. Do it NOW. Do not listen to them when they say to just give it time. 

• Posted

Hi Jane

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize for taking too long to respond to your message. But, no, I have never had any dental work in my life. So, it really puzzles the life out of me; I had it again almost all day yesterday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.