Bad and scary experience last week after stretching hamstrings

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all...  I am new to this forum.

Well, here it is.  I am a 50 year old woman,  and I have been struggling with increasing tightness of my hamstrings and my achilles tendons.  So, I decided to do some pretty strong stretches so that I can try and walk better in the morning.  Last week, after a good stretch before bedtime, I fell asleep on my left side. ( not my usual side ) I woke up, tried to stand and fell straight down. NO USE of my legs.  I had no idea that they were asleep, or dead, or whatever.  Then I tried to walk and fell again. I realized that I could NOT feel the floor. FELT PARALYZED.  Panic took over. I got up and then got my legs back. I am seeing a neuro soon.... so, do you think I had a mini stroke? Brain tumor? I have been sleeping a lot, and feeling like nodding off at work and driving..  Never been so tired.

Thoughts?  You guys, I've been depressed for a while. Last year was a bad year.  I am trying to get in shape and this ... was scary.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi

​Could be a TIA but sounds more like you had a panic and got up too quickly! Easily done especially if you are worrying about loads of stuff. Also explains your tiredness.

​Good idea to get medical advice and in the meantime try to relax and chill. Be mindful that worry only makes things worse.

​Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you   for your reply.   Yes, you're right about the worry - but I am pretty calm now.  Just waiting to learn more about what might be the cause.  It was so crazy and fast...But I did not have legs.  At all.   Ughhhhh.......dreadful.

• Posted

I wonder if you might have trapped a nerve which caused your legs to go numb? I really do wonder if your panic made it worse?

?The symptoms of a TIA are usually on one side so for both legs to fail is unusual. I had a TIA 2 years ago but only had difficulty with one side of my body. I am now fully recovered so don't worry.

Aneta

• Posted

Thank you for your kind reply.  It didn't feel right.  I started to scream because I had no control over my legs.  The first fall seem to come from the loss of both legs at the knees... then I tried to walk, and realized. ... I had NO strength - I fell again and felt paralyzed.. But I regained my legs and walked up and down my halls talking myself out of my sheer panic. 

I want to thank you taking the time to answer, and I am glad you're well these days.

• Posted

I am feeling some anxiety about it today.
    • Posted

Bless you! Do your legs feel ok today? Were they ok yesterday? And the day before? If it has only happened the once try not to talk yourself into having it happen again. You can't stop it happening so why get anxious? I think you will feel better when you see the consultant but why not see your GP in the meantime and perhaps have help with your anxiety. I always find that distraction is the best thing for worrying!

?Hang on in and don't screw yourself up about something you may not have. Take care and chill!

• Posted

Hi there... I am in pain all of the time.  It's nerve pain.  My legs tingle and no matter where I scratch my skin, it reacts with a burning sensation.  Was tested a few years ago for Lyme. I was told I am too old for MS.  I am not really anxious, but more...sad.  I have not felt well in so long, and I feel like the doctors don't believe me. That episode scared me. I was afraid to go back to sleep. I am trying to get in shape, to be strong. I am sorry.  Weak moment.... Thank you for reaching out!  smile  Bless YOU as well!!!

• Posted

A stroke would not affect both legs. A cord compression would not resolve and would cause other issues. Both legs falling asleep is odd, but not impossible and may be the best theory.
    • Posted

Having had a brain haemorrhage (the other type of stroke), I can assure you that both legs can be affected.

To the OP, it does not sound like you had a stroke.

• Posted

Thank you for responding.  We'll see what the Neuro says.  I will come back and fill you in.  So much to think about.  It happened so fast!

• Posted

Thank you for the response.  This site has always brought me so much knowledge - and support. Thanks again. 
    • Posted

I should have said TIA so as not to confuse it with a hemorrhagic stroke. What is an OP?
  • Posted

Hey all...   Doc thinks I compressed a nerve.  I am in a lot of pain but I am going to try and work through this.  I wake up with a lot of stiffness - but I have not had that scary exprerience again.... I am not convinced that it's just that I slept wrong. But for now, I will do my best to take it easy and not think that I can jump out of bed.  Those falls were very scary.....  I thank you for reaching out.. and I will be back from time to time to check in.

• Posted

Hi.

So pleased that you have had a diagnosis albeit that you are not convinced!

Stay positive and enjoy your life.

Aneta xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.