Bad back, bad elbows, burning when seated

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have written on other parts of these forums about my health.

I am currently working and my back is in agony some days. I only do some lifting and standing (work in a supermarket).

I don't know if I can continue this as I am now 55 and struggling. Plus I am just about divorced (just being finalised).

What can I do? I have enough to buy a small 1 bed or 2 bed house but don't think I will be fit enough to continue working!

I had an x-ray on lower back and they said wear in lower discs but my muscles really hurt there too. Doc has applied for me to have a scan.

How will I manage if I have to give up work? Pain is bad some days and not too bad on others.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

You haven't stated whether you work full time or not? If you do then you're employer should pay you SSP with the support of a fit/sick note from your GP. This is paid for up to 28 weeks at £89.35 per week. You won't be able to claim any Contribution based benefits (ESA) until the end of the SSP term.

With Income related benefits such as Housing benefit and Council tax benefit then your savings will be taken into acount for this. Savings/capitol of £6,000 or more will reduce the amount of benefits you can recieve. Savings of £16,000 or more will not entitle you to any Income Related benefits.

PIP (Personnal Independence Payments) Is a non means tested benefits for those that have difficulty in daily life. If you google PIP descriptors a list of all the points will come up, and it will explain everything to you. I'm unable to put links her, sorry. People work and claim PIP but you'll need evidence to support your daily difficulties. Claims can take months depending on where in the country you are and it's not guaranteed that you'll get this. You'll more than likely be asked to attend a face to face assessment where you'll be asked various mutliple questions about your daily life. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Part time and only for 2 weeks as I was a stay at home dad for 11 years.

Suffered with back problems since 18 yrs old.

• Posted

ok then for Income related benefits as stated above any savings/capitol over £6,000 your benefit will be affect £1 for every £250 over £6,000 and up £16,000. Anything over £16,000 and you're not entitled to any Income Related benefits. Above you stated that you have enough to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom house this could possibly be disregarded for up to 26 weeks IF you're planning on using to buy a house. Regarding this i would advice you visit your local CAB (citizens advice) for more info and advice on where exactly you stand. The PIP advice above still stands.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.