Bad Back Pain around shoulder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks - sorry if this is in the wrong place - first time visiting this site - i've been having really bad back pain just under my shoulder blade (right side) it hurts when i take a deep breath - when i try to turn over in bed and is now radiating down my right arm and up to my neck any ideas what it might be ???? it's been going on now for 2-3 days  (i'm 57 and do suffer with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and have had both knees replaced in the last couple of years - thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy, my name is Deirdre,

I really think you need to see a doctor about your pain, as it has lasted for more than 24hrs and it is spreading into your arm and chest. It is probably just an inflammation of your chest muscles, but it is also a symptom of pleurasy which can be very unpleasant. As a general rule any pain radiating into the arm or chest should be checked.  Please go and see your doctor as soon as possible, sincere wishes. Be kind to yourself     Deirdre x

• Posted

Hi Deirdre, thanks for the concern will be ringing the docs on monday to try to get an appt as like you say it's gone on a while now and it don't seem to be getting any easier - tried hot baths - heat packs - pain killers and nothing seems to work - will let you know what happens xxx
    • Posted

Hi Sandy I am so glad that you are going to see your doctor, good for you. In the meantime try taking some mild anti inflammatory medication and keeping warm and take it easy, good luck, take care be kind to yourself xx
  • Posted

Hi

Sounds to me like you might have nerve irritation in one of your vertebrae in your upper back.  I have had similar symptoms in the past.

I have been successful removing such pain by the following exercise.

Take a bath towel and hold it behind you with one hand at the top of the towell and the other at the bottom.  Now move the towel up and down as though you are drying yourself.  Do that exercise say 3 times.  Now reverse your hands and repeat.  Do the exercise say 3 times a day for a few days and see if it helps.  

Peter

• Posted

well i been to see the doc today and she's not sure what's wrong - she says it could be a progression of my OA or it could be osteoporosis - have to have blood tests on monday and x rays on thursday so will see

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.