Bad Breath!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've suffered with GERD for almost 2 years now and recently I've had extremely bad breath due to acid reflux.. I've also noticed my gums have been bleeding a lot and my dentist said the acid had worn down the enamel on my teeth. Any suggestions on the bad breath would help, it's so embarrassing!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had the a similiar problem with bad breath and thought it may be because of undigested food sitting in my gut so tried a good probiotic from the refrigerated section of the healthfood store. 2 or 3 days latter I was good.
    • Posted

Hi,

Whats sort of probiotic was it? Are their different types?

I've had really bad breath for years. It can be more than just embarrassing. Doctors and other medical people tend to try to push you out of their offices as fast as they can which means you don't get the medical help you might need. And of coarse if you're single you can expect to stay so.

• Posted

The healthfood store I go to has 3 or 4 different brands ranging from $30 a bottle to $100, so it's up to you how much you want to spend. They're all good but some are the Rolls Royse and you pay more. Probiotics are killed by heat, so that's why I advise getting them from the refrigerated section. Where I go, they give you an ice pack to wrap them in if it's a hot day, so they don't get killed on the way home.
    • Posted

Eat lots of fermented foods as they will help balance your gut, and stop eating or drinking anything that compromises your gut microbiome.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks.  I'll have to try it. God knows I've tried everything else so far without success yet.
    • Posted

I used to have terrible bad breath 20 years ago before my reflux was diagnosed. At the same time it was discovered that I had ulcers in my duodenum which were cause by helicobactyl pylori. Soon after I finished tne week of the triple medication to knock out the h. pylori my uclers had gone along with my bad breath. I had started taking omeprozole as I had oesophagitis plus gastritis so it might have been that that cured the bad breath. Whichever it was, the foul smell was cause by one or all of the conditions.
  • Posted

Hi,if your tongue has white coating due to acid you may use a tongue cleaner. Lightly scape your tongue as part of your dental hygiene. Your teeth becomes eroded due to acid. You can chew fresh mint if you wish.floss after meals and drink plenty of water as much as possible.it works for me very well. Hope this helps..
    • Posted

I've used a tonque scrapper for 20 years. Sadly it has no effect that I can tell on this sort of bad breath. I can knock people down from 2 meters away with my breath on a bad day. The reason I joined this web site in the first place was because of this issue. I could probably live with the burning throat if only I could fix my bad breath. I don't think doctors and people understand the effect chronic bad breath has on a persons life. Its considerable.
    • Posted

hi,

Did you talk to your dentist about this issue? All i can say is that for me i would know it if i have a metallic taste.I had all my dental issues covered just last month, extraction of my wisdom tooth,deep scaling and crowns to mention a few.

I do noticed that i have this bad breath by the time that i am talking people would pass their fingers through their nose and to be frank it is quite embarrasing. And the people around you no matter how close thy are to you even your freidns would not tell you that you have a bad breath.

• Posted

Hi,

I've had my tentist check out my teeth on numerous occassions. Its not a tooth issue.

Yes, fingers over the mouth and nose are a dead give away. Occassionally I can make people gag. No, they never tell you even if they're close friends. You need to actually ask them to confirm and even then some of them will lie to avoid mentioning it.

The burning sensation in my throat gets worse when the bad breath is worse. Its definitly conencted to reflux in some way, although alot of the reflux sufferers on this site don't seem to mention it, while others do.

• Posted

Yup somebof reflux sufferers may not be aware of it. In the morining especially when you can taste the aciduc metallic taste. Some say chlorella is good i take probiotics before bedtime or try to chew mints or gum which is sometimes giving me gas. You can't win.
  • Posted

I used to have terrible bad breath 20 years ago before my reflux was diagnosed. At the same time it was discovered that I had ulcers in my duodenum which were cause by helicobactyl pylori. Soon after I finished tne week of the triple medication to knock out the h. pylori my uclers had gone along with my bad breath. I had started taking omeprozole as I had oesophagitis plus gastritis so it might have been that that cured the bad breath. Whichever it was, the foul smell was cause by one or all of the conditions.
  • Posted

HI yes, me too, if I cup my hands over my mouth it smells like a mixture of rotten meat and blood, it is not all the time just occasionally, the dentist said it is not my teeth but coming from my stomach.  My teeth are also really small with the enamal being worn away.  I too have noticed people with the fingers over their nose, but to be honest the people doing it have smelly breath also.  I was on a train the other night and the man opposite sighed, the smell was horrendous, so I think there is a lot of it about. I think the rubbish we eat must contribute and may not always be the acid.
  • Posted

Hi,

I've been on Probiotics for 3 months following some suggestions on this post. The first week I actually thought it might be working but then the bad breath came back as bad, if not worse than before. Doesn't look like Probiotics was the answer. If anyone did have luck with probiotics can they please advise which one they used.

• Posted

Hi,

I know its been like 6 years but I have the exact same problem, I've had it for 3 years now. Did you ever manage to get anything effective?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.