Bad breath is taking its toll

Posted , 7 users are following.

As soon as I think I have the problem solved, someone holds their nose when I talk, or pulls out their breath mints. I have been to the dentist several times to no avail. I do have several deep pockets, and after my teeth are cleaned, the breath seems a little better but not totally.

I do brush, floss and rinse with peroxide. However, my gums are bleeding, and I believe the bloody gums are, in part, causing the bad breath. I just went to a gum disease doctor, and they said I did not have gingivitis or periodontal disease. Whew!! I don't know what to do. This has been going on for more than 20 years. Could it be from my stomach? I only eat once a day. Could I be in ketosis, and does that cause BB? My nose is stopped up from time to time, and I do feel mucus at the back of my throat. Any help would be appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've had this problem and mouthwash and a waterpik (as well as flossing and brushing daily) has fixed it for me. I think that there was an infection that the bacteria in my mouth were smelling from - and the mouthwash made it better - but I had to do it consistently for a month. I used a non-alcoholic mouthwash because I have read that alcohol daily could change the PH of your mouth. And I have heard that ketosis can give you bad breath - if your stomach lining is eating itself (because you're hungry and in starvation mode...) that can give you bad breath. You could start snacking and see what happens. I'm on an active thread on here that is all about bad breath - called breath that smells like poo (faeces) something like that... You should go there - lots to read about and lots of people to talk to about it.

• Posted

HI margo

I feel your pain. There is so many forums full of people that have the same issue. I myself have noticed the bad breath is always there even when I wakeup after brushing eating etc it gets worse with certain foods. I know for a fact I have periodontal disease because my gums are receading I also have gaps between my teeth. I have scheduled gum surgery but im not able to afford it. I did also go to my GI doctor but she claims not to smell any bad breath but at work people reach for gum so quickly. There was a lady who got cured she had hpylori and hiatal hernia with antibiotics she was fully cured.

• Posted

Hi Margo,

Bad breath as far as I know, has more to do with your stomach, rather than your teeth and gums. If I were u, I would try a strong course of probiotics (good bacteria) that u can buy in most pharmacies. It can do u no harm and might restore the PH balance in your gut.... I hope this helps. Best of luck 😉

• Posted

Someone in another forum did mention probiotics and taking Apple cidar vinegar before every meal to activate stomach acid.

• Posted

i have the same problem but i am negative in h pylori bacteria. i am not sure if there are other bacteria that can resides in the stomach or intestines. i can feel that there is something pushes up, so im having reflux with smell, even the air that comes out to my nasal is with smell. i think it is bacteria but i dont know exactly as i can feel that there is like a salty fluid that goes up to my throat and get mixed with saliva. i did lot of tests and ita all normal so im clueless

• Posted

i have exactly the same thing. i too am clueless. I use probiotics and found nothing works. i sometimes feel discouraged, but i won't give up.

• Posted

hi dear please check for sinus, tonsil stones, pharygintities .

• Posted

Hi I have enlarged tonsils which I think maybe the cause but my EnT did mention theres a chance it could get worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.