Bad breath please help!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have bad breath from my tongue im pretty sure the only place , and I've been brushing it for a long time along with teeth brushing ( since about 16 and I'm 21) with my tooth brush.

At the end of the day it's kind of white and my breath isn't fresh , especially if i have milky coffee.

Mouthwashes work really well but after a couple of days the bacteria on my tongue seem to accustom to it , I'm not sure what's going on but it's much less effective after a few days.( I've tried basically all of them , ultradex seems the best , haven't tried the breath co)

Also I've noticed the more I brush my tongue the quicker the white coating comes back. I've lasted a couple of days without tongue brushing and it was pretty horrid , but when I did brush it I stayed fresher for longer. Would anyone suggest not brushing my tongue for like a month to see what happens or is that pointless?

I haven't seen my dentist but they always have assistants in the uk and I know some of them , could I see a private dentist maybe?

Any help on this issue would be amazing,

Thank you .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, there are a lot of people with the same issue and as always dentists and doctors don't really pay attention as they see bad breath as a cosmetic issue.  

Firstly you need to use a tongue scraper, not a toothbrush. Scrape gently though.  Keeping the mouth hydrated is important and dairy can cause the saliva to go gloopy and if you have a mild intolerance to dairy you may get post nasal drip which sits on the back of your tongue.

I would use this routine:

tongue scrape gently

mouthwash

tongue scrape gently

brush teeth

scrape once more gently

Most people use toothpaste before mouthwash but there are many recent articles to say use mouthwash first so you get the best of the formula.  Toothpaste tends to coat your mouth in slime from the soap that is in it and then the mouthwash can't really do its job.  Also using mouthwash after paste rinses away the fluoride in your toothpaste.

Firstly get to the cause of the coating.  Is it dairy or yeasty products you are consuming too much of?  Google foods that cause coating on tongue to see if you can make any connections.

I use a great mouthwash to help me but this forum doesn't allow you to recommend brands so I will leave it off.  I will say though that the best mouthwashes are the ones that contain chlorine dioxide.  They aren't cheap but they work.

Really hope this helps as I have the same issue and have spent 20 years tackling it. 

• Posted

Wow thanks for that reply.

The reason I use a toothbrush I find it's the only way to make my tongue really pink . Scraping it nothing much comes off, im still left with a pale coating, whereas using a toothbrush and really scrubbing with the toothpaste ,takes it all off , and I've been doing this for years, could this be destroying the natural balance of bacteria?, im thinking more and more that I've been doing more damage then good for these years.. Also the link between not brushing for a while and tongue being better for longer is anything to go on?

And yeah I think ultradex is an English equivalent to something you use with chlorine dioxide and I did find it the best but maybe I will try the breath co since that's the same idea

• Posted

The 2 brands you mentioned don't contain activated chlorine dioxide.  They contain something similar which is a precursor to chlorine dioxide but for some reason they are allowed to name chlorine dioxide as an ingredient.  Google "activated chlorine dioxide" and you will see the difference.  Its much much stronger!

The brush bristles can cause deeper crevices on the tongue  (making the issue worse) hence dentists don't recommend using a brush.  Also its very hard to get the gunk out of your brush. 

Can't comment on the link between not brushing tongue and it improving but I know that some people generally are more yeasty than others.  Oral probiotics are the way to go. Not tummy probiotics but oral probiotics.

• Posted

I don't think that brushing your tongue has anything to do with your condition. I've been brushing mine for 30+ years.  Have you changed your toothpaste?  If so, you may be allergic to the new toothpaste.  I read that one of the sypmtoms of an allergy to toothpaste is a white, stretchy coating on your tongue and teeth.  This happened to me so I switched toothpaste and the problem stopped.  Another thing you can try is a tongue scraper.  Lastly, you may have a medical condition. Consider seeing a dentist.   

• Posted

Do you brush with toothpaste and your tongue pretty much becomes pink after? People surely don't need to brush there tongue if the oral bacteria is doing a good job, it's more I don't understand why I need to do it to get fresh breath and other people never do and have nice pink tongues . I want to get to a stage where I don't rely on this morning and night

• Posted

acc925 is right, it could be a medical condition.  Oral thrush gives a bright white coating.  It its yellowy it indicates sulphur is being produced by the bacteria which gives off an odour. 

If I was you I would google tongue coatings.  There are thousands of useful articles out there.  I would paste some but a moderator won't post my comment.  

• Posted

No I don't think it's that it's by no means bright white , at a distance it looks relitvely pink but up close to a mirror I can see it's paleness at the back , and it's really not a thick coating at all it would never just scrape of, but like I said using mouth wash for the first few days its pink all through my tongue , so surely it means it's just bacteria , but after some time the mouthwash doesn't work so well..

• Posted

My tongue is a normal pink/red.  If you want to get a correct diagnosis, you should see a dentist.  You may find out it's s'omething rather easy to correct and get the color you're looking for.  

• Posted

Advanced oral care products: 

Use oral care products such as mouthwashes and toothpastes that have been shown to be effective in fighting bad breath.

Proper oral care: 

Brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day. Be sure to get a toothbrush with soft bristles (as to not damage tooth enamel or gums) and also use fluoride toothpaste. Brushing and flossing helps to remove any food and plaque which can be used as a fuel source by the anaerobic, sulfur-producing bacteria that are at the root of this problem.

Stimulate your salivary flow: 

Prevent dry mouth with chewing gum, lozenges, or mints that are sugar free. Look for Xylitol, a non-sucrose sweetener, which in recent years has been shown to have anti-cavity properties.

Eat fibrous fruits and vegetables: 

One of the best ways to remove bacteria in the mouth is to eat an apple a day. It helps moisten the mouth, too.

Take a dietary supplement: 

Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Vitamin B are effective at helping your body eliminate excess mucus and toxins naturally.

Brush your teeth occasionally with baking soda: 

The bacteria that cause bad breath thrive in an acidic oral environment. Brushing your teeth with baking soda helps neutralize excess acids found in the oral cavity.

• Posted

As it has been a long time you have this problem, i think it would be good if you visit your dentist. Bad breath may be a symptom of some tooth decay. Hope your problem gets resolved. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.