Bad day

Posted , 5 users are following.

well day 7 on sertraline  feel awful tired no energy just lying in bed can't get out feel anxious can't even be bothered to take a shower when will this hell end !!! 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You will be feeling better in the next couple of days or a week. It takes a week or 2 for the side effects to lesson. When do u take your sertraline as it might be a case of altering when u take it. Also if u have the horrid heightened anxiety then I recommend rescue remedy. It's very good for anxiety and is safe to take while on sertraline.mi hope u start to feel better soon. The first 2 weeks r horrid but by week 3 it will start to level out. Sertraline takes a while to kick in x
  • Posted

Thanks vikki I take it at 10 pm before i go to bed just wish it would kick in soon it doesn't help that I'm alone most of the time as my husband works away thanks for the support it is much appreciated xxxx
  • Posted

Thanks Walter just what I needed to hear when I feel so low and struggled for months deciding if I should thank them or not !!!!! 
    • Posted

U will get there jojo. Just persevere as much as u can through the side effects. Keep yourself distracted. I learnt how to knit and that really got me through some bad days with the anxious thoughts etc and also the rescue remedy. I am now nearly at week 8 and I'm feeling better but still have anxious days so I have been upped to 100mg which I start tonight on that'd owe. I know exactly how your feeling, and I thought they were not working as felt horrible but I carried on with them and got through, around week 3 I had a good few anxiety free days which was lovely but week 4-6 I got a chest infection which brought my anxiety back and I felt like I was at square one again but week 6-7 was good a little anxiety but not as bad. I had my review on Monday and the doc said as I'm still abit anxious to up so that's what I'm going to do and see how I feel on that. I wish u well and let me know how u get on x
  • Posted

Hi Jojo, sorry to here that this is a bad day for you.

Sertraline is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) that are intended to help people to overcome depression.

Until your system gets used to this new drug you may well feel tired and lacking in erergy, but this is normal and it will improve as time progresses.

You should report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Basically Jojo you need to give your system time to adjust to this medication, and I'm confident that if you do you will benefit from it in the longer term.

Good luck

• Posted

Im on day 16 of Sertraline and cant say as I feel much better. Maybe a little calmer but Im either up or down and no inbetween at the moment. Ive been incredibly constipated since taking them - something I dont normally get !!! Also Ive got no energy physically or mentally to concentrate on anything at the moment. I was sleeping better but last night I had a really bad anxious night - thinking thinking thinking. Its awful. I cant seem to clear my mind of anxious thoughts at the moment. Why cant I just take life as it comes instead of thinking terrible things that might happen.
    • Posted

Hi, I was just like that at day 16 but from day 18 I started feeling a few benefits, I started to have good days which felt soooooo good, but then I had down days. It's so up and down at the beginning but it will level out. It can take up to 8-12 weeks to level out so just keep going and try to distract yourself. I started to learn to knit and that really helped with the anxious thoughts etc and I also used rescue remedy (have u tried it?) x
    • Posted

Thanks for advice. Will try rescue remedy. Got some in drawer. But didn't think of that.
    • Posted

It's great stuff isn't it, take it as often as needed, they also do a night one. Good luck with everything x
    • Posted

A night one is on my shopping list. That's my absolute worse time and just want to stay under the duvet. I stare into the darkness and feel paranoid. Am I going crazy.
    • Posted

No u r not going crazy. I know it feels it and like there is no way out and u feel like u will never be back to (normal), but u will. U need to distract yourself with anything, puzzles, word search, knitting, painting ANYTHING!! Just to take your mind off the anxious thoughts. Take the rescue remedy and breathe and relax, and when u start feeling anxious, tell it to f### off, it's only a thought and that thought will NOT happen as it's just a thought. I know it's easier said than done, but to get through it u need to think positive. There the things that helped me and I hope they can help u to. Like u I was crippled with anxiety and couldn't see a way out and just couldn't cope, so I just coped by doing the above things which really helped me through some tough days. U will get there, just think positive!!!!!! Today might of been crap but tomorrow might be the day u feel better x
    • Posted

Wise words indeed. It's good to discuss this with someone who understands. I really will try to keep more occupied. I do work part time plus I go out to shows with my grown up children. I sew. I read. I take dog out. I meet friends for coffee. It's the nights on my own week after week. I've been told I overthink over analyse and think negative thoughts so thankyou very much for your support. Just taken rescue remedy!!! Thankyou thankyou.
    • Posted

I to analize and over think everything, there are some online free cbt courses online that also really help, and also positive affirmations that u should write down, so whoever your feeling anxious read it and it will make u feel so much better. It's also another coping thing I do haha. Take care and let me know how you are getting on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.