Bad day

Posted , 5 users are following.

Fed up of feeling ill. Had abnormal liver function tests for 4 years on and off, now chronically elevated since January. I was a drinker but stopped Jan 1st used to drink 5 days a week usually wine or lager on the evening . I suffer chronic acid and each time I get admitted they put it down to my esophageus and liver tests elevate even higher. Still waiting for urgent GI appointment even though my GP has written to them explaining how ill I am. Can't eat solid foods throat always sore and struggle swallowing and bowels are crazy either can't go or horrible fatty diarhoea

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are so ill! I have been ill since January, losing 30 pounds in that time. I was diagnosed with Gerd and gallstones, having gallbladder removed. My LFTs were, and probably still are, elevated. I can barely eat, no appetite most days, and I get the sore throat and feel like everything I do eat, plus my meds, gets stuck in my gullet. Do you have any of those? I just saw my GI Doctor and will be having an endoscopy and colonoscopy in May. Hopefully, get some answers. I will be wishing for you to feel better, and get that appointment you so desperately need. Keep me posted. 
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie. Yes I have problems swallowing. Had my gallbladder removed Jan 14 but sadly my problems got worse although gallbladder was full of sludge so needed to come out. Hope you get relief soon xx
    • Posted

Definitely need that endoscopy. Keep after them. Call everyday, make a nuisance of yourself! We are our best advocates!
  • Posted

Can get ulcers in your throat, are even a thickening to the esophagus. A endo would be extremely useful it sounds like. I would become a bother and messing with them everyday until they get you in. Are they the only practice you have to choose from? I wish you the best of luck. 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately i still have to wait for appointment with GI my GP has been brilliant and is doing everything she can but hospital is very slow
    • Posted

Will be in my thoughts as a endo sounds like it may contain your answer! 
    • Posted

Thank you. Feeling very deflated, rang hospital to be told appointment is coming out for 23/06/2016 apparently that's the earliest appointment as new GI only holds one clinic per month. So much for GP urging this considering my ailing health
    • Posted

That's terrible! I think it is bad that I'm having to wait until next month, but your situation is worse. Why are things so slow in your country?
  • Posted

Sounds like you may have Hepatic Encephalopathy. Your GP needs to refer you to a Gastroenterology & Liver Disease Expert. Mag oxide 400 mg tabs will help for cramping. Vitamin B1 100 mg tabs once a day will help for maintaining protein levels. Lactulose will help with normal bowel movements. Your doctor can prescribe Ciprofloxacin hcl 750 mg one tab once  a week is a broad spectrum antibiotic. These should all be prescribed by your doctor and monitored on a regular basis. Do not drink alcohol.  It will only intensify your problem and cause more serious damge.  Please see your doctor as soon as possible so you can be on the road to recovery.
    • Posted

Many thanks Gary. Don't see GI till 23/06 but I am seeing GP this Friday as I am completely exhausted and my arthritis is on a 10 pain scale currently as I don't think my meds are working probably due to my liver not functioning properly
    • Posted

Gary,want to say Thank you. I have Liver Probs myself.and Im no drinker have some non alcoholic chirosis starting. have to go to doctors now but you give great advice. God Bless and keep helping will get back with my story soon.
  • Posted

Update : Seen GP yesterday and he couldn't understand why the hospital is taking so long and why they didn't do a liver biopsy when i was admitted as my liver results showed chronic elevation. Problem is he has no control over GI but is getting all bloods repeated and some extra tests as i am showing a vasculitis type rash on my knees which are currently very painful and do swell. I am also getting a lot of ribcage pain , mainly from about 5pm onwards but by bedtime its very sore, he believes this could be due to my liver but he is checking . When bloods come back he will send copy to hospital which they have asked for with yet another note asking if i can be seen any earlier.
  • Posted

are you holding water. what are your symtoms?
    • Posted

All i havennoticed is upper abdomen seems to swell as day goes on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.