Bad dreams while using mirtazapine

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hi

I've been taking mirtazapine for a little over a week now and I am sleeping much better except that I have awful dreams. I used to take citalopram and had some weird dreams when I was taking them but it seems to be much worse since I changed to mirtazapine.

I wake up feeling terrible because the dreams have been so weird or frightening and it takes me a while to settle down again.

It's such a shame because before I started taking them I had difficulty sleeping, now that has improved but I'm nervous about falling asleep incase I have another horrible dream.

Does anyone else get horrible dreams while taking mirtazapine?

2 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have never known anything like it. I will drift off and slip straight into a nightmare that is VERY real and most times wake me up in a few minutes. This has lasted upwards of 15/20 dreams. When i have managed to stop waking up I have slipped into some amazing, vivid, deep dreams thats have blown my socks off. Although this has only been going on for a week ive found I can start to manipulate the dreams as Im slightly aware that im dreaming. I intend to continue this investigation to see what can be achieved. As for being irratable Im not to sure.
    • Posted

I've found it very difficult to Manipulate my dreams although I was used to be able to. The dreams I have a very violent I feel like I'm being suffocated or buried alive

• Posted

Heavens kev, that is just awful. I would stop taking them. the initial problem may not be as bad as this.

all the best and maybe try something else

• Posted

Hi noddy

I'm taking these and having truly horrendous dreams to the point that I wake up shouting. Tonight I haven't taken one but now can't get to sleep !!

• Posted

I am so glad that I found this site! I have been taking 30 mg of remeron at hs and I have been expieriencing horrible completely unrealistic dreams also. It doe not help me to sleep any better than I used to. I am determined more than ever now to go back to all natural herbs and essentional oils. The side effercts of chemical meds for me far out weighs the good effercts.
  • Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine for a week also with vivid and do disturbing dreams I was taking 7.5 MG. I was told to take 15 MG be cause of daytime anxiety, now I am having awful restless leg and can't sleep at all. Wonder if this is the drug for me.

• Posted

Ive had the vivid dreams also since I started mirtazapine a little over 6 months ago but they weren't every night at 30 mg. I've been tapering down and have been down to 15 mg for a month and it seems like the dream awakenings are much more frequent..

Do the dreams get worse for others here on the lower doses or does dosage not really seem to make a difference for most?

• Posted

I only started having the weird dreams i used to dream a bit before i was put on Mirtazapine. But i cant sleep properly at night my brain just wont turn off and i continuously think about everything.

I had the strangest dream that i was driving somewhere with my partner and Earth literally explodes. Then after the Earth explodes we come back alive like nothing happens. I don't know what I've been thinking about lately but seriously it scared me so much that when i woke up i was like did i die and come back or am i actually alive and earth hasn't exploded.

I've been this kind of thinker for quite a few years but why all of a sudden does my brain do this?

• Posted

Hi

I started taking this medicine about a month ago and I have been having some of the worst dreams and nightmares

It's getting to the point where I be so nervous when I wake it's ridiculously.

• Posted

Hi I think we are all different to how we are on mirt, I been on 15 mg for 18 mth and the bad nitemare started from the first day, but I was sleeping through the night which was a great relief, as I was not falling a sleep till 3 am and then only for a hour so awake again at 4am every nitght, so was good to have a full night sleep, even with tha horrid dreams ... 18 mth down the line Iv had enough of the nitemares which have now started to wake me up 3/4 times a night, so I no longer sleep all night, and like you, when you wake you feel so down because of the nitemares that it takes you a while to feel ok, and like you I now started dreading going to bed and sleep as don't want the nitemares any more, so last Monday after another hell of a nitght im coming of them, I can't stand them any more, so for me the nitemares never went away, just became worse by being woken up with them, so Iv got down to 7.5mg every other nite, and the nitemares are slowly going away, the only withdrawal Iv had is feeling a little sick and headaches so nothing I can't cope with, I'm back at my doctors next week to say can't cope with the alfull nitemares no more, and that they have started to wake me up in the night, hoping there is some thing eles out there that will help me... we are all different so what helps one person doesn't help every one eles, it's the luk of the draw, it would be a good world out there if all the meds work for all of us the same, but unfortunely we are all different, so that's my story and how I feel with mirt, and how bad it was for me, and no one can say I didn't give it a chance, as after a year and a half of the most alfull nitght mares, they are coming to a end, and fingers crossed the next meds will be ok... good luk with your journey on mirt, I do hope for you the dreams will get better, take care x

• Posted

Hi dawn

I too have been suffering awful nightmares.been on 45mg mirtazapine almost six years for severe depression with agitation.worked well,but last 18 months nightmares are too severe,I sometimes get up rather than risk going back into nightmare.tapered down from 45mg to 15mg since May lots side effect,will taper rest after new year.have you managed to get off this drug completely now?and how did you taper and any withdrawels?how long once you finish drug completley did it take for nightmares to disappear?

• Posted

HIya chrisy.. sorry to here that you too are suffering now after so long as well, I was fine to start with, throught great sleep at last lol, I suffer with depression and was on trazadone b4 mirt for 15 years and that worked for me too, but stopped working, so tried mirt, I went up to 30mg but that’s wen prob started, so I went back down to 15mg , but the nite mares just got worse as each day went by, like you, I didn’t want to sleep as the nite mares were unreal, and they started to wake me up, as they were so bad, so I knew I couldn’t stand it any more, so from 15mg I went down to 7.5 only for around 4weeks, then stopped, as even at a low does the nitemares were still coming..,  my depression had come back bad by then, think the nitemares had made it worse, so went to see a different doc and he put me straight on to fluoxetine ( Prozac) , and I’m still on that now, it was hard to start with on the first two weeks, but now I’m on 60mg flou and feeling total great, my depression as gone, I still don’t sleep very well, but I’m going through the menopause, and I here a lot of ladies on here saying that there sleep not been as good..

Id go down to the 7.5 if you can, I had to cut one 30mg in to four small peices lol and just tuk a quarter each nite, but then just stopped it as had enough of the scary nitemares, but that was ME and it worked for me, and I had no side effects, just glad to get of it.. good luk,  and I do hope the tapering down goes ok for you, and you find some thing eles that works for you, big hug 🤗x

• Posted

Hi dawn

thanks for reply.im posting now at 3am,as had yet another nightmare!! and not going risk going back to sleep as husband away working just tonight,so nobody to wake me from terror! who would think I'm a grown capable women in her 50s! but the night terrors are so real,and bizarre vivid dreams,takes a while when you have woken,to a certain they are not real.Its a great shame trazadone stopped working for you,but have heard antidepressants can just do this sadly.glad you feel well on Prozac.only tried Prozac once for around 3 days,made me so agitated,that doc took me straight off it,said never to take this one again,but if I ever do need another antidepressant,may ask to try trazadone as heard lot of good reports on this,you never know,I may not need another one,time will tell.once Christmas and new year out way,I will definatley taper off rest mirtazapine,as living with nightmares no longer option they are too severe.

• Posted

Hi chrisy.. lol I know what you mean, the nitemares are so real, I live on my own, but some times I’d wake from a nitemares thinking Iv heard some one breaking in to my house, and I just feel so scared but never real, just bad dreams.... so I can understand y you want to come of this med..

As for Prozac the first 14 days can be hell on Earth, worse then u were b4 you started the med, but my doc had warned me that things will be worse just for the first two weeks, and they were, but i stuck it out and now I’m great... trazadone did not give me any side effects at all, it was a good med, for ME that is... but wen I went to see a new doc he said he wouldn’t of put me on trazadone at the beginning as not that good for depression, just sleep, but seem to work ok for me lol, but who knows untill you’ve tried it,, good luk with your tapering of mirt, and hope if you need another med it works ok for you, keep intouch on here and let us know how things go big hug 🤗x  

• Posted

Well, what can I say! I agree with all of the above reports. Firstly Mirtazapine stopped normal bowel function. I thought this was bad enough then the nightmares stared up. I have only taken seven and have had at least 3 bad dreams, including one waking up crying manically, one involving the take over of aliens.

?Apparently according to some reports, this can happen with all antidepressants so what does one do with anxiety and drastic loss of sleep.

Where to go from here I do not know.

All advice welcome

• Posted

Hi Wendy .. ow yes those nitemares are hell on Earth ( for me ) and the longer I stayed on mirt the worse they got, I stuck it out for 9 months in the hope they would go... but nope just worse, where anoth was enough and I came of it, im on Prozac now. But I don’t sleep good any more. For me my sleep as been bad for last 2yrs after my menopause started, so I can’t say it’s Prozac caursing lack of sleep, as only been on Prozac 7mth ...

But I was on trazadone  for 15 year, and that for me was fantastic, I sleeped every nite 7/8 hours all the time, and there were no nitemares for ME on that one, not once, but it stopped working so had to come of it, or I would of stayed  with  trazadone ...

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.