Bad dreams while using mirtazapine

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hi

I've been taking mirtazapine for a little over a week now and I am sleeping much better except that I have awful dreams. I used to take citalopram and had some weird dreams when I was taking them but it seems to be much worse since I changed to mirtazapine.

I wake up feeling terrible because the dreams have been so weird or frightening and it takes me a while to settle down again.

It's such a shame because before I started taking them I had difficulty sleeping, now that has improved but I'm nervous about falling asleep incase I have another horrible dream.

Does anyone else get horrible dreams while taking mirtazapine?

2 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi guys.. ive been put on mirtazapine 15mg and have had 4 nighmares this week and just had one right this minute, hence me waking up and looking it up and joining. mine have been about lots of people in the house and wont leave and smashing things up. my mrs said i was shouting in my sleep and sobbing not to take my children (thomas and sophia) who i was protecting and trying to fight these people off. i am locked in a year long court case to gain access to see my children, as my ex wife booted me out and got with someone else at 3months pregnant. i think the tablet will over work your brain as it is flooding it with (cant remember word) as i have been prescribed them due to my panicking for no reason at all and causing heart palpotations and anxiety.... excuse the essay... id better try get back to bed.. night all. x

• Posted

Help.... I need some advice on this nightmare subject. My son has been taking 15 mgs mirtazapine for several months now and this is the email I received from him this evening.

Will you look up the side effects of the mirtazapine? Its only15mg but i take it before bed and i want to know if it has anything to do with the dreams that im having. they are super realistic and terrible.. by the time i can rip myself awake im covered in sweat. to be honest i wake up feeling like im losing my mind. i cant ask the people here or ill get put into isolation. i knw thats a random question, but i need to get it figured out. im tired of watching people die in horrific ways..

If I could get a response from anyone who has gone through this long term I would really appreciate it.

• Posted

hi yes I dream every night and it feels so real that av actually woke up crying some are nightmares and some are nice but it's really scary to go back to sleep incase you have another nightmare so I understand where your coming from hope they het better soon av been on mirtazapine for 4 weeks now and still have the dreams

• Posted

Making a reply for any new comers to Mirtazapine. I have been taking Mirtazapine for 4 years now, I did one year of 15mg before upping it to 30mg.

The horrible, frightening nightmares do calm down. It can be so scary, but try to persevere with it. It is definitely worth it in the long run.

I will admit, I still frequently have extremely vivid dreams but they aren't frightening any more. They are more just me doing every day tasks and being a bit creeped out when I wake up because of how real it felt.

One bad thing about Mirtazapine for me is it has increased my appetite immensely. I've also heard for some people it can decrease their appetite, but more often than not it's increasing it. I would just recommend to stay active, go for a walk! Being active will help with your mood also.

When you first start taking Mirtazapine I really really recommend not having alcohol. One beer or glass of wine goes straight to your head and you are absolutely wasted. I didn't listen and went out to a party and ended up in very VERY bad shape. I would wait at least a month after starting the medication before having a drink. As personally for me, that is when I started to feel somewhat "normal".

But I can assume we are all taking this medication because of low mood and insomnia. Mirtazapine has changed my life for the better and I can finally get a good nights sleep after so many awful years of exhaustion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.