Bad drunk

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey! Looking advice or some support regarding this.. I drink once a week at most normally twice a month something like that. However, it's how much and what happens when I do.. I get myself into uncontrollable states that are affecting my relationships. I'm not talking a state that maybe most get into.. I turn into someone else. Either crying, spilling my heart out angry, saying hurtful and nasty things that I can't take back in the morning. I go out quite often with my boyfriend and usually the night ends with me shouting, crying, accusing and calling him names. In the morning I'll have forgotten most of it and when he reminds me he'll say it is okay and brush it off but how long for? I've tried to calm down but it always ends up the same way. sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is exactly the way I behaved with my husband. There would come a point when I would switch and become a hateful shrew.  I was a different person telling him everything that was wrong with him and that he should just get out if he didn’t like my drinking. The next morning I would feel this shame and dread for when he would tell me in great detail all the things I said and did that hurt him and made him feel small.  This broke my heart over and over again.  I tried many things, for many years, but now am on Naltrexone and the Sinclair Method.  It’s been three months and I see a big difference.  You take one pill one hour before you have your first drink of the day.  Over time, it blocks the pleasure that your brain feels from the alcohol and slowly you want less and less alcohol.  For some it takes a year, but in the meantime, with conscious consumption, things change.  At least they are changing for me.  Read about it. The program has a 78% success rate.  I believe it will save my life. 😀

• Posted

I'll second the suggestion about The Sinclair Method. From over 300 drinks per month, I dropped down to 12 per month using TSM and I've been holding that level for about a year. This month so far I had most of one beer and poured out the rest because it tasted off. 

The binge drinkers that have used it write that it quashes blackout drinking pretty effectively. I was a daily drinker myself, didn't really run into any blackouts.

Are you in the US, UK, Oz?

• Posted

Great replies from ADEfree and sheryl. Good medicine they take and Sinclair Method spectacular success. Best of luck.
  • Posted

I too was often like that years ago. I used to wonder why my husband was distant with me after heavy drinking. I honestly couldnt remember what I’d said or done. I’d be mortified when he told me what I’d said. I often had complete blanks, not knowing how I’d got home, where I’d been.

Youve had some good replies about TSM. I used medication too which turned my life around. I took medication, acamprosate (campral), an anti craving drug. Unlike TSM, you don’t drink alcohol at all. It worked for me and I can now drink responsibly.

Good luck

• Posted

It seems the pleasure you used to get from alcohol has ceased.

I hope you can find a way to stop to save your life and your marriage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.