Bad flare

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi..I was diagnosed with RA 7 years ago...my meds have kept it under control for about 9 months now, but on Wednesday last week I had the worst flare ever,(for pain) all centred around my left wrist and hand..it settled down after about 24 hours and I feel fine now, only problem is that 2 of my fingers are now permanantly numb....Has anyone else experienced this ? and if so, do you know what the problem might be.....My next Rheumy appoint is in May

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think I might call the clinic and ask for an earlier appointment if possible. At least go to your GP.

It could have caused carpal tunnel syndrome and the longer term results are best when treatment starts as quickly as possible - bit like with RA itself.

• Posted

Numb but partially/fully functioning or numb and motionless? In both cases you should see a dr - waiting until May with numbness is out of question. But if you can use your fingers it means that something in the sensor-related system was damaged (may happen with flares). If you can't use the fingers at all, it's a deeper nerver damage and the sooner you get someone to look on it is better. Try to move the fingers and use them until you get the appointment - I think that it might help in both cases. Hope that you will get an appointment soon.
  • Posted

Thank you both very much...I was going to leave it a week or so, see if it sorted itself out, but I will go and see GP next week..they both feel like I have had pins and needles, the finger is fully functioning, but I cant bend the thumb ...its not painful, just "numb"...The pain I had when flaring was awful, sometimes feeling like severe burning.
  • Posted

Julie, the last few times I have had a flare effecting my inner wrist and hand, I have had tingling and numbness in my fingers. The worst of the pain and numbness has lasted 2 days or so, but the numbness left once the swelling went down. I feel it has something to do with pressure on the nerves, and once the pressure is relieved the numbness leaves. I applied ice several times a day when this was happening and increased my dose of NSAIDS to double for a week. That helped.
  • Posted

Hi.

Sounds like a nerve is involved. I had burning sensation in my hands and was putting it down to RA too. Eventually I had to go or nerve conduction studies which showed nerve involvement and am waiting on carpal tunnel surgery. Started as pins and needles and end up with my thumb, muddle and index finger all going through bouts of numbnes and excruciating pain. It doesn't affect my other two fingers which indicated carpal tunnel. I used to have to put my hand in ice cold water just to try to sleep at night . Hope it settles down for you as pain is really bad . See your GP ASAP and get reffered for nerve conduction tests as this is the starting point and you don't want to do anymore nerve damage Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.