Bad floaters after Dropless cataract surgery.....

Posted , 6 users are following.

A week ago I had a cataract surgery in my left eye with a monofocal lens. The surgeon used the Dropless method which, as I understand, is an injection in the eye at the end of the surgery with an antibiotic and steroid.

Since the surgery my vision is corrected to 20/20 in that eye but there are a lot of spiderweb type floaters that are not getting an better...My doctor says they I’ll go away soon, but the condition is very distracting and concerning.

Anyone have any experience with the Dropless method and bad floaters?

Thanks in advance...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom, I'm afraid one week isn't long enough for floaters to settle. It could take up to several months so be patient.

If after a couple of months there is no improvement then go back to your optometrist and seek further advice.

Jim

• Posted

For my right eye cataract surgery with a toric monfocal IOL 9 months ago the surgeon used a dropless method (actually reduced drops, to only 2drops/day for a few weeks) with an injection of antibiotic and steroid.

I didn't notice any extra floaters after the surgery, I already had some very faint ones that I rarely notice now.  I did experience variable vision for the first couple months after surgery, some days very blurry other days 20/25 or better.  My right eye now gets about 20/25 to 20/30 most days uncorrected, and I can get 20/20 or better with glasses correcting the 1D residual astigmatism.

• Posted

What is the power of the glasses getting you from 20/25 to 20/30?  How much is  difference in vision between 20/30 and 20/20?
    • Posted

The eyeglasses Rx for my right eye is pretty weak now, mostly just corrects the astigmatism.

SPH=+0.25D CYL=-1.00D AXIS=107

Usually that gives me 1-2 lines improvement on the eye chart for distance.  Its enough to help while driving to read signs on the freeway from further away.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Can you read without glasses?  If not, for what distance do you need glasses?

• Posted

I would call the surgeon, share your concerns, and ask for more clarity about when you should expect the floaters to go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.