Bad gastric band pain, please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I had my band done 10 days ago.  Until day 7 all was well, slowly recovering but then I started getting these horrible stabbing pains.  Most of my incisions are too the left but one is just off centre to the right and it's under here I am getting the horrible pain.  It's ok if I sit/ lie still but if I start moving round the twinges start.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I called the nurse she said it was probably where my port was embedded.  She didn't seem worried. Would love some advice.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's probably discomfort from the portsite and its still early days since your op so everything is still tender.

If it doesn't settle then best to get it checked out.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Could be wind or things just settling down. Are you on pureed food?

My port is dead centre. I have the largest of 6 scars just under my bra strap line in the centre and my port is about an inch lower than the scar. I've been lucky apart from first 24hrs had no pain, had op done 9 weeks ago.

If in doubt get seen by someone.

• Posted

Thanks.  No I'm still on liquid, I think it's the same as you, the biggest of the incisions almost centre.  I've spoken to the nurse and they say it's normal but I hadn't been warned about this pain I think it's just made me panic!
    • Posted

How's your pain now? Is everything getting better? Did you go and get checked out?

• Posted

Hi Vicky

i am3 weeks post op and some days still very tender and windy but this is subsiding- as sim says if it gets worse do get it checked out otherwise relax into the healing process!

hope all goes well for you :-)

• Posted

This is usual to get stabbing pains around the site of the port.. its probably the port attachments inside still raw and as its moist will take time to heal up and embedd in.. Maybe a clip or stich which has been used to secure the port. It will take at least 6 months to a year for you to get used to the band.. But be aware of difficulties and watch for different signs and unusual symptoms..like feeling of tightness and excess saliva inability for the food to go down.. you will get used to these.. I have a Band and always drink hot water befor a meal which helps get the gut going.. Be careful initially with dry foods. like chewy meat.. cut up small and chew well. Very early days..
    • Posted

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to reassure me xxx

• Posted

Feeling a lot better now, pain has subsided considerably smile. Really grateful for everyone's answers xxxx
    • Posted

treat yourself to soothing bubble bath that's always good for any sort of pain or wind..Glad We could help!
  • Posted

the centre and probs biggest scar will be where your port is i should think - the smaller scars where they used laparscopic instruments to do your op - the bigger scar takes m ore healing and if you are gettng pain perhaps it is infected and you need to get it checked out so make an appt with yr GP asap in my opinion. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.