Bad hair

Posted , 3 users are following.

My hair has thinned to the point of almost baldness over the last few years!!!.... I have B12 injections every 12 weeks, will the situation improve at all or is the damage permanent?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

What diagnosis do you have - B12 deficiency or Pernicious Anaemia? Do you have any other symptoms?

Although not listed as a "symptom" a deficiemncy of Vitamin B12 is "reported" to affect hair loss as well as low levels of iron, but as I'm not medically trained I don't know whether it is permanent or not.

Do you know what your folate level is?

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance. Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body. 

I would have words with your doctor about your hair loss and ask him/her to test your iron and folte levels to see if they need supplementing.

I've had P.A. for more than 45 years but (fortunately for me) I still have a good mop of hair at the age of 76.

I wish you well

• Posted

Thank you Clive, at the moment I'm not sure what I have apart from a B12 deficiency that has been treated for the last 10 months with injections every 12 weeks. My doctor rang me in July to say that I'm anemic and gave me a prescription for Ferrous Sulfate 200mg. 

Ive had lots of symptoms for years but just didn't know what it was because I think lots of people suffer with the same symptoms that don't have a B12 deficiency. The worst of my symptoms were the numbness in my upper thighs followed by stabbing pains, lethargy and now I've read that thinning hair can be added to the list!!!.... although when I've read the list of symptoms I have most of them!!

The hair for me is the worst of the symptoms....My doctor has asked me to come in and see him on the 25th so I will ask him then about levels.

I just wondered if there was anybody else whose hair has improved after treatment.

• Posted

Even if you are taking B12 injections you can maintain healthy hairs if you follow proper standard of life like exercise daily, healthy diet and positive thinking then you can get rid of this problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.