Bad health anxiety acid reflux

Posted , 8 users are following.

Going through a phase of acid reflux/heartburn and now anxiety is making symptoms worse plus some. Feeling of lump in throat/ back pain and a feeling like throat is squeezing to push food down when there is none. I always get bouts of

Heartburn but something triggered me to start freaking out. Read about Barrettes esophagus and cancers and now got myself all worked up. Saw doc and he gave me some pantoprazole to take for a while to calm things but I hate pills. Tried everything else but still have issues. I don't even want to eat much incase I get heartburn. It isn't

Like me. I'm healthy and lift weights 5 days a week. Guess I just need an outlet to vent. Not sure why small things like heartburn etc can make me feel like it's the worst thing ever. Ugh......

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should honestly put your mind at ease and go get a barium swallow AND an ultrasound of that area. Demand it of your doctor so he doesn't just give you the band aid of pills for it.

• Posted

Heartburn can be bothersome indeed. I am sure it's nothing to worry about more than necessary - you already saw your doctor, he prescribed you something, perhaps you could also ask him what is the best diet and yes / no food to eat in this case. Dont stop eating, you need to keep those acids busy on digesting food! Avoid alcohol and acidic things like orange juice and coffee in big quantities, which could only make it worse.

Not over thinking things will make it easier. I don't like taking medications either, makes you think of the issue even more...But it won't be forever.

I am sure things will settle down soon enough, if you don't see any changes for the better you can always contact your doctor again!

• Posted

Hi Rich I know exactly how you feel - I could have written this myself today. This is something I've experienced on and off for many years. Comes and goes but what I've learned about it is that there are various triggers for it. For me it's most often actually constipation - sorry to be a bit gross! But seriously I never thought of this because I was going to the loo as normal but if stuff has got impacted inside it's actually stuck and causing a blockage while other stuff is  moving round it so you don't reailze this is the problem. Hence the feeling of pressure round the throat, the heartfburn, reflux etc. And did you know stress can cause this AND being constipated actually  then causes anxiety. That's the vicious circle. I got X rayed on a couple of occasions and the blockage could be seen then. I'm not saying this is your problem OF COURSE but if it is there is loads of good advice about dealing with constipation without pills - though if the problem is serious (and impaction can be serious) then they can be a good short-term solution. Plus tackling the stress in your life is a must and perhaps modifying your diet, drinking more water etc also important. Maybe this isn't your probel like I say and you should probably keep talking to your doctor if it's not resolving. Good luck and hope you feel better - and less stressed - soon.

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel! I have acid reflux, IBS with constipation and diarreah, and other issues! I too take pantoprazole. Sometimes it feels like pieces of food or pills are getting stuck. One day I was choking on a piece of cookie! But it finally went down after I coughed really hard! I have had my thyroid removed with 2 goiters. So now I have to take pills in place of my thyriod and need blood work to check levels! I also have blood work to check my potassium and other things. I take a lot of pills every day including high blood pressure, diabetes, vitamins, iron, calcium, fiber, probiotics among others!  Does your doctor check your thyroîd? Or do you do blood work?  Perhaps you need to see another doctor. I have a few doctors! Heart, lungs, regular, eye, and ear, nose and throat. I also see the gi doctor for colonoscopy and endoscopy. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks everyone. After a few days now of meds I'm noticing it is calming down. No caffeine or spicy and acid foods. I have had a beer or 2 once in a while but other than that been keeping things more under control. Anxiety has lessened some as well.

Still have a lump in the throat sensation but it's less than it was.

Thank you so much for

The support. So far so good. Hope you all are also doing well!

• Posted

Well. Still have the lump

Feeling and sometimes it feels

Like It's constricting and letting loose. Like a spasm. Hmmm. Might need to go back to Dr and maybe try getting a scope done. Sucks. I hate having health anxiety because it effects me physically and I can't tell

If things are real

Problems or not.

• Posted

Hi ,

I am just checking with you to see if you have found anything to help you health anxiety and heartburn. ? I am struggling with both something terrible!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.