Bad hsp flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am going through the worst.flare up.of hsp that I have had in 18 years the rash and pain is from the shoulders to my feet and the pain is awful. I wish I didn't have this. There is no cure . It's there just waiting to come.back time and time again

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

just got over a horrible flare .. have had this disease for over 27 years . The only way to kick it back into remission for me is cytoxan

chemotherapy . Just had 6 rounds of 1000 mg .  My kidneys, pain and swelling is much better . Nothing else has ever worked for me . Talk to your doctor if he/ she can’t help contact the vasculities foundation to find a doctor in your area that knows about using Cytoxan . Chemo is horrible but at this point it might be the lesser of the two evils 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Did the treatment make you feel ill. What side effects did you have?

Have you ever had the rash so bad it's all over your body?

Sorry to ask so much . I have had this about 18 years now and the trigger for me.seems.mainly hormonal .

• Posted

Yes the rash has been all over my body . The chemo is really magic for me . My last remission stretch lasted over 12 years with no rash . The worst side effect the chemo has on me is vomiting for about a week after treatment and added fatigue .  Just want to caution you chemo is not good at all for your health .. their are risks and a lifetime advised limit ( my disease has caused me to go over the life time limit ) but for me the benefit has outweighed the risk. 
  • Posted

It's a really bad illness to have as it hits out of the blue . Once it starts there is no stopping it. This outbreak is just moving around constantly. Have you heard of a drug called rituximab at all. I am looking into it. I have reacted quite badly to medication in the past and been just as I'll from.side effects as from.the vasculitis. The doctors are reluctant to try much due to thexpansion fact my liver function reacts so much and last time.affected my heart rate as well.

Was chemo the only thing that actually cleared it up totally for you. 12 years is a really good run to have clear. We're you totally clear of all flare ups in that time.?

• Posted

Hi Steph,

I went through a bad flare-up recently when I had a sinus infection. Anything seems to set it off. The first flare-up I had wasn't correctly diagnosed properly so I went untreated for a very long time which resulted in massive scarring as the rash developed into ulcers which got infected. I had Prednisolone which didn't really help but was told to persevere, which over the course of the eighteen months of taking it made me put on four stone.

The only thing that has done the trick has been Methotrexate (a type of chemotherapy) which I will probably be on for the rest of my life but is so much more preferable to going through massive flare-ups. I do feel sick from it and have mouth ulcers and slight hair loss but it's better than the pain and potential for more ulcers. I've never got the rash any higher than my chest and it gets worse the further down it gets so my legs, ankles and feet are badly affected. Like Michelle said, ask your GP about it because it could be the thing that works for you too.

Good luck xx

• Posted

I failed on methotrexate it really damaged my liver badly. So I am on a rotation of drugs now. I know what had caused this flare up its a period after many months without one (menopuase). My periods were always the main trigger. But as you say anything can flare it up. Prednisone usually work for me eventually but thenot you have the weight gain to deal with. My joints get so painful I can't walk did yours get like that too. And around the stomach and back the pain off the rash there is awful. Thank you for replying . I have got really down this time with it .

• Posted

Oh wow, that must've been awful! Thank god you're not taking that anymore.

Yes my joints get really bad & I suffer from Fibromyalgia as well so the HSP makes that worse and also the Fibromyalgia can cause the HSP to flare. I'm supposed to have bloods done every six weeks to have a LFT (Liver Function Test) to make sure my liver is ok but my GP surgery really couldn't care less! My last LFT was in April! They are useless....so bad that I had to go to A&E to get help. I was walking around with open, infected wounds on my legs in agony and the A&E Dr went mad, straight away put me on antibiotics and dressed & packed the wounds. The scarring is dreadful because I was left untreated for so long, there is literally great big chunks of my ankles eaten away and scarred.

I'm on a whole bunch of drugs that can damage my liver and of course with HSP the kidneys can go into failure at any time so I feel like I'm falling apart really. I also, like you, get so down, so bad that I literally don't want to leave the house.

• Posted

Sarah I am so sorry you are going through this too. I also have fibromyalgia and it's hard to know what is doing what. I haven't been able to walk for years with the damage to the nerves and joints and it's awful. Being stuck indoors day after day can get you down. I am on facebook (steph downs) if you want to add me and chat on messenger anytime no problem. It's nice to know there are others in the same boat .

There is a huge lack of care around vasculitis and a huge lack of knowledge.

• Posted

Thank you Steph. I totally agree, there isn't much known about this condition. I've been referred to a Dermatologist, Vascular Consultant, Rheumatologist and a wound care nurse. The thing is, I miss appointments due to the conditions I have and then get told off. I was having to see a nurse every single day for dressings to be changed which was a real pain and she really didn't have a clue about it. I think she was used to seeing the elderly with ulcers and had never come across this type of wound before.

I will try to find you on Facebook, I'm Sarah Emily Wormsley  :-)

• Posted

I will try to find you now Sarah
  • Posted

Hi @Steph1609, I'm so sorry to hear of your plight. I am currently having a flare too but I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. It seemed to be improving but then a week ago flared with a vengeance. Again it started to improve and then on Wed of this week re-flared significantly. I have it on both legs, top to bottom, front and back and just noticed a few minutes ago that it's started on the back of my arms. I'm an adult woman, I've never ever had any thing like this in my life and I am not at mid-life. I can't take prednisone as I had a bad reaction to it. My family Doctor diagnosed it and when I had the bad flare up last week, I ended up in the Hospital for 4 days. I've seen a few Dr.'s now and see a Rheumatologist next week. Have you learned of the Vasculitis Foundation and the Support Group on Facebook? I am new at this but it's a place to start. Sending hugs, Margie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.