Bad idea to use Mirtazapine as a sleep aid?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I have recently been trying to re-stabalize myself on 40mg Citalopram, which I was taking and doing well on for almost 10 years. Since messing with my dosage, I have experienced insomnia, seemingly from dosage increase/decrease side effects.

I am just over a month back at 40mg Citalopram, but sleep hasn't quite returned to normal still and am having trouble sleeping without taking something. My psychiatrist prescribed me Mirtazapine 15mg as a sleep aid.

Aside from the awful day-after side effects, I am scared to use this to help with sleep in that so many people seem to have insomnia when they try and go off of it. I am scared that by starting to take Mirt, even if short-term, I will only bring about more insomnia in the long-run.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Mirt at 15 mgs. (for me) was a blessing way back when I had insomnia.  It is a SNRI -- my body refuses to respond to SSRIs (what you are taking now).  I'm trying to withdraw from 30 mgs of Mirt  because I do not believe it is working as it use to but the side effects are really nasty. Oddly enough I'm sleeping fairly well but I'm taking 50 mgs. of Doxepin (a tricyclic antidepressant).  Before you start on Mirt, you might ask your doc about a low dose of melatonin for a short period of time in an attempt to readjust your internal sleep cycle.  I fully understand what you are saying about side effects; thus, my reply for a trial run of an over the counter sleep aid.  I realize this is not the advise you asked for but it's a suggestion worth considering.  Hope you can eventually get relief  from insomnia.  Lack of sleep comes with it's own list of woes.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi frazzled - I've been on mirt for years and am interested in what side effects you have experienced? Btw - your point about melatonin is great advice. I used that initially with good results. 

• Posted

Hi wayne.  I thot maybe I was gonna get away without having many side effects since I've been weaning so slowing from 30 mgs to 15 mgs.  I'm in my third week at 15 mgs.  Side effects -- crabby, mean, think I see things running across the floor out of the corner of my eyes, irritable, massive anxiety, crying fits (I started to cry after watching a toilet paper commercial), jumpy, restless legs (no I do not have restless leg syndrone) and many more trips to the bathroom because of the additional stress caused by these effects.  I have stress induced IBS-A. I'm hoping some of these side effects will be over by next week so I can begin a trial of 7.5 mgs.  I'm not gonna push it tho.  I've been on Mirt for over 30 years -- may take me 6 months to totally detox from it.  Now mind you this is just me.  The interesting thing is I'm sleeping better now but doc added a low dose 50 mgs. of Doxepin and that is helping me sleep. That med. is not in the same class as Mirt.  Since our bodies all function in different way, not everyone will experinece the side effects I've mentioned so don't let that freak you, if you are going to try withdrawal.

• Posted

Hi

Can you tell me if you suffered from sexual side effects while being on Mirtazapine for 30 years.

• Posted

My desire for sexual intercourse diminished to the point of where it was almost entirely gone.  Plus, during sex, I experienced feelings of orgasm in the middle of my forehead.  Kind of lost the desire after that.  Yes, it did play havoc with my sex life.  That's one of the undesirable side effects along with weight gain

• Posted

hi frazzled i also have cut down from 30mg ive taken a third of it, so am on about 10mg now tried doing with out it last night and could'nt get to sleep in end i took it (mirt). i too have kept bursting into tears for no aparent reason since cuting down hoping this will go away soon. but feel beter on lower dose less anxiety and agetation. hope you get on ok,good luck

• Posted

I would try it an c even 2 nights with mitr then 1 night off 2 night on 1 night off even just for a wk or so
  • Posted

hi all i can say is that it helps me to sleep but wake up agetated and long to be able to  just relax and have a lay in, in stead of waking up in a bad mood  and agetated for first 2 hours  all since taking mirtizipane.  been on them for over 3 years  and doctor is pushing me to stop them for some reason that i can't understand as he perscribed them in first place. wonder if he knows something about them i don't.   think it may be beter not to get on them in first place. good luck

• Posted

Hi Portugalthecam - i've been on mirt for ten years and find they are very helpful with sleep which had been a life-long problem. Having said that, meds affect people differently and one persons food can be another persons poison. I have to adnit that I'm a little worried about eventually lowering the dosage and weaning myself off them. If you are concerned or experiencing any probs with meds - apart from the initial adjustment which is usual, then you are wise to seek another remedy. Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.