Bad Lipitor withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband has been on Lipitor 10 mg about four years and this past year he developed insomnia from the statin. He weened off the Lipitor for two weeks cutting the pill in half. Stopped taking it completely April 25. Since he has stopped, he has had a range of withdrawal symptoms including aching, sore muscles all over his body, dry mouth, headaches, sharp pain to the stomach and side and down the arms, itchiness, blurred vision, feels out of it and confused. He never had all these symptoms while on it. We tried coq10 to ease the pain but it seems to make his blood sugar drop unless he is taking too much. I need some recommendations. What worked to get rid of these symptoms? Do they just go away eventually I hope? It’s now day 23 he has been off of the Lipitor and still having bad symptoms. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erin87800

Sorry to hear your husband is having severe symptoms. I stopped taking atrovastatin for almost 2yrs after suffering muscle weakness, palpitations, fatigue,  severe headaches, brain fog and dizziness. I stopped on the 12 March but despite binning the drug some symptoms  such as headaches and palpitations eased but other symptoms got worse and others such as sore throat, muscle wasteage and muscle twitching started even though I have been taking 500 mgs of coQ10, 400mgs of magnesium citrate, B12 and1000mgs of  vitimam C daily since I stopped. I'm now in week 10 and still have symptoms so stick at it!!  I'm seeing my gp and a neurologist next week to check everything over so keep a close eye on any new symptoms and seek further medical advice if necessary as I know too while the frightening position your husband is in and worried you are but I like you hope that this will play out ok soon!!

• Posted

My experience with statins is that all side effects got better and disappeared once I stopped taking them medication. He might need to follow up with his doctor.
  • Posted

Hi erin - i was on 80 mgs of Lipitor for two years. My health deteriorated resulting in several conditions I had never had before. The doc blamed the patient and not the poison. I fired him and threw the poison away. It has been almost 3 years and the damage done has taken almost that long to disperse. Poisoned from the inside out. Knowledge, diet and exercise are the best way to deal with cholesterol. What i have learned about the whole statin story from Pharma to patient is horrifying. Diet, vitamins, minerals, and time are the only remedies for those who have survived statins. Hang in there - it may take time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.