BAD LIS surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

All the LIS surgery stories I've read have been positive outcomes. Did anyone have a bad experience?

Thanks for reading and i appreciate any response. wishing us all a successful recovery.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

My bad experience with LIS was because the surgeon didn't cut enough muscle, so it completely failed. So I had a second LIS which was done by a different surgeon and it was successful.

I would definitely recommend LIS (with fissurectomy/removal of scar tissue) especially if you're fissure is chronic and/or deep.

• Edited

Thanks Betty. I am very happy for you on the recovery. I've had chronic for 7 months and Surgery in 3 days. My surgeon says he chooses Botox or LIS based on size of fissure. I'm tempted to insist on LIS.

• Posted

if the fissure is shallow, botox might just be enough to heal it. as I've also had botox twice, and it did absolutely NOTHING for my chronic fissure but it did heal another small fissure that was months old and not deep.

wish you the best chris!

• Edited

Thanks Betty, i had surgery day before yesterday and the surgeon did lis vs botox. thanks also for your advice to spica in the thread below. worried about first bm hopefully today.

• Posted

So happy to know that you've finally had a surgery. I don't know this morning I still saw blood when having bowel movement (when it's not soft enough, but I can't say that I'm constipated either). This actually discourages me for I've been well all this week, it's like going back to square one 😔 But as Betty said it took a while to heal, so I want to believe and do my best to heal my fissure (even after surgery, sigh). Some people have it easy though, they heal pretty much quickly, but I guess some others need more time. I hope your recovery goes well.

• Edited

Hi, I've just had a LIS surgery a month ago. The pain was unbearable (due to the healing process of the surgery cuts) but the pain has subsided. However, I'm still experiencing pain during and after bowel movements... Lately there were some blood drips I'm so scared. I don't know but I've got a mixed feeling about my surgery. So some days post-op what I experienced is the pain of getting a surgery. For the bowel movements during that time, sure it wasn't comfortable, but I didn't notice any pain related to fissure.

Then 1 week post-op I had a constipation (like a blockage), I managed to pass a tool with dulcolax but it was terrible since I had to strained real hard (which has been my nightmare all these times) and I got lazy bowel during that time (I hv bowel movements each day though). I also got hemorrhoid (I think bc of the strain).

Then 3rd week post-op my surgery cuts have healed as well as my hemorrhoid. But since then my concern comes to the actual fissure wounds (since it's the only thing left). No constipation, no hemorrhoid, no surgery pain anymore, but my fissure seems not improving. I don't know is this bc I'm still in a process of healing? I'm afraid that the constipation I got and the straining I did has opened a new fissure and that's why I saw some blood drips during my bm? 😦 I really am afraid that after going through such a hard time of undergoing a LIS my fissure still doesn't heal? Tbh this gives me a great anxiety. 😦

• Edited

Don't worry about still feeling pain. at my 6 week check up, my fissure was checked by my CRS and he said both incision and fissure had healed. however the pain didn't go away until several months later. nerves + scar tissue take their time to heal.

Just make sure you don't get constipated for first 3 months after surgery. makes the journey easier.

• Posted

I see, glad to know that you've been feeling well and it's such a relief I'm not alone in this. Thank you so much you're right. I'd like to give an update on my condition. After the latest pain I experienced, the morning after it was finally improved. The feels of burning and discomfort subsided little by little as the time passes. Now I've been on my 5th week after surgery. I'll make sure to keep constipation at bay for the scars to properly heal!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.