Bad Migraines and Horrible Vertical Vertigo

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

I'm a 24 year male, who works a lot with computers. Both in my job and at home. For the last month I have been getting what I believe to be migraines, mostly in the front on the skull but occassionally in the back of the head, towards the top.

Last Tuesday I was in work when I first started feeling really dizzy, it come on all of a sudden and I felt like I was swaying violently. I managed to cope ok and continued on with the rest of my shift. I dreaded going in to work the next day just incase it happened again. It did but I just carried on with it. After that I am on annual leave from work until 16th June. Everyday I have had a migraine and a medium spell of veritgo. It hasn't stopped me from doing anything yet.

Yesterday was my birthday and I went out for dinner with my Fiancee. At one point it came on all of a sudden, the whole room was swaying and I felt really sick. My ears were ringing badly and I just couldn't get comfortable. To say the least it ruined my entire birthday. I went to my GP who checked my ears, said they were fine. Asked me to book an appointment for bloods and keep a headache log with every headache I get until we see each other again. The vertigo has gotten a lot worse since the GP visit and today I tried to book another appointment, but they were full for the rest of the week. I feel so helpless right now, really vulnerable. 

I am supposed to be going to Longleat safari park tomorrow, I am driving as my fiancee can't. I'm worried it's going to ruin the day.

I have sore ears, both sides on the inside. Migraines and swaying on a vertical axis. No spinning as of yet.

Anyone know it might be? Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It could be a few things. I would say have your blood work checked and include all of the Vitamins, Like D, B12 and the others. You could go for an eye exam, maybe you need glasses? Also you could go to an ENT doctor and have them do an inner ear test to make sure it's not an ear issue. Your doctore might be good but he does not specialize in ears like an ENT,
  • Posted

Cornish,

It definitley could be many things. I agree that you should wait for bloodwork to come back to narrow down possibilities. Could be Ménière's disease, labyrinthitus, BPPV or migraines. Either way get checked out. I had around 8 doc visits before 2 of them agreed that I have labyrinthitus. I had bloodwork, ENT visits, reg doc visits ( to which reg docs have no clue), MRI, eye doc, neurologist, and finally an audiology exam. My audiologist was the most effective. They will run not just hearing tests but visual compensation and ear pressure tests. I believe audiology is the best route however you will probably need a referral from your ENT first. Hope that helps you out. Don't get overwhelmed it will stress you more

• Posted

Could be lots of things like the others say. Look up Epley procedure and try it. The problem is deciding which side is affected. If it's labrythnthitis you have to plough on don't lie down, you're doing the right thing.

You mention using computers, why not go to a good optician and get your eyes tested. They will check the back of your eye (a good health check when you have headaches) and may prescribe specs which may relieve the intensity of the headaches.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Cornish Cracker, my balance has been affected by BPPV which causes the dizziness but i didn't realise that i was also getting migraines as i always related this to headaches but i was getting thumping in my ears and dull ache, which the ENT says are causing the balance problems also combined with the BPPV and has recommended  no more chocolate caffeine, alcohol, dairy products , citrus, bananas, processed meats, full fat milk or cream or smoking. I spend long periods at computer screens also and it might be good idea to also get an antiglare screen.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

look up MAV - Migraine Associated Vertigo.  If you have any of the symptoms you could have this and ask yourG{P for a referral to an Audiologist or ENT otherwise you will be waiting ages to get to that point.
    • Posted

exactly.  It took me months to get to that point with ENT re the MAV.

• Posted

it took me years"!!!!  and it was of no help actually as it's not the vause of my problems (well apparently as the medication didn't work)!!!
  • Posted

Hope your trip wasn't too unplesent for you. I agree, all the ideas suggested by others are good. Personally I'd wait till you get your bloodwork done and go from there. In the meantime I would ask for something to help you with the headaches. If it all checks out normal it wouldn't hurt to get your eyes checked especailly since you work with computers but if you had great eye sight before this all began it would seem odd that it would be linked, But it is possible your strainning your eyes. It's important to figure out if you are getting vertigo because of the mirgrianes or you have vertigo with induced mirgraines. Does that make sense? If it's migraines, usally vitimins and a change in diet is going to help. Your docotor should order you an MRI since you have headaches to rule out anything there. If it's vertigo seeing an ENT would be helpful espeically since you have sore ears. You could have an inner or outter ear infection that your GP couldn't see. My husband recently had an outter ear infection and our family doctor didn't catch it. The ear specailist did but he didn't have headaches or vertigo like you do. Still if your ears are bothering you it's a clue. Hope you get into your doctor soon and get some answers so you can get better!      
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice, the bloods came back fine. I have a small incline that this could be related to anxiety. I seem to get the migraine, pressure in the head and the dizziness when going in to a public area. The vertigo has gotten better, seems to be more prominent when I get anxious. I went back to the doctors for a second time and they prescribed me more medication to prevent sickness (which I never really had) I will mention that I do not get any hearing problems or pain in the ears during the attacks. I will book a follow up session next week. Thank you to all that replied.
    • Posted

No problem and also I do not have hearing issues either nor do I get sick. Sounds like we have similar symptoms
    • Posted

Also something else about the eye connect which has been a problem with me too.  Didn't understand what was going on when it started up along with the vertigo symptoms, but it felt as if i had to keep closing them and 're-focussing', even though they were focussed, or 're-setting' them.  What i have learned in my research is that because the ears (and vestibular area) isn't working properly in the balance mechanism, i (and possibly you) start unconciously using our eyes more to help throughout the day to do the job.  It puts an obvious strain on the eyes, but no amount of eye tests shows up anything.  I even went to Moorfields Eye Hospital this year (i pushed for a referral as i'd been there before years ago for something else) and they found nothing untoward either.  Personally  I think it could be connected with something called Nystagmusk but i was tested (supposedly) for that way back when and it seems they don't re-test you to see if you may have it.  There are two types of Nystagmus and they generally test the horizontal movement - ie left to right, but there's also another one which involves up and down and i have always felt discomfort with looking down and up!!!  So maybe have a look at this - an ENT should check for it, but not sure if they do a thorough enough job on NHS.
    • Posted

oh and forgot - the Audiologist i see/saw, who i went through the MAV possible thing with, first tried me on Feverfew - it's a natural supplement that is good for migraine problems.  maybe wouldn't hurt to pick some up at health sop this weekend and give a try - they are harmless and they will either work or not.  You take them daily though - it's not like taking a pain killer etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.