Bad night last night need reassurance

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a very bad night last night.

Everytime I drifted off to sleep last night my heart would start racing and I would gasp and jump up - not an "I can't breathe" gasp but rather an "I'm panicked" gasp.

Does this happened to anyone else that as soon as you are trying to drift off your heart starts to race and you gasp awake??

I have a new strategy for trying to combat my heart attack fear. I say "is my colour the same?" (Always yes) "Am I sweating?" (Almost always no) "Does slow breathing help?" (Sometimes) "Do I feel ok other than chest pain and racing heart?" (Almost always yea) so then I can make a reasonable guess that once again it's just panic

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's happened to me once or twice but remember it could also be R.E.M. Which can make you jolt like that.

Do you look at your phone or I pad in bed?

Just remember if it was a heart attack you'd know the symptoms are worsened by you thinking that you have to know it would be a completely different symptom.

• Posted

That's true and all blood tests and ECGs back healthy 1 so are you saying I would definitely know if I was having one?

I am guilty of looking at the phone in bed smile

• Posted

Sophie you mustn't think your going to have one do you know how many things they can tell from an ecg

So much stuff, including blood flow size of your heart it's very in depth and there are triggers that they can see once it's done.

The chest pain is frightening but do you exercise?

You need to move the serotonin around

Get Calm brilliant app £45 a year and there is lots of mindfulness get your self comfortable do as it says.

• Posted

It happens to quite regular it is scary you this it when it happened to the other night I grabbed hold of my wife and scared her I think if your mind is still thinking about stuff then it seems to happen but ideally stop useing your fone about a hour before bed or do a meditation to relax you before you go to sleep but I am just as bad
    • Posted

They are great tips Liam will try those thank you :-)
  • Posted

Sophie

When we go to bed in a quiet, dark room and start falling to sleep we can sometimes feel our heart beat, sometimes in my cas I can feel the heart beat in my ears. These feelings are normal, and you are proving you have anxiety..

If there was anything serious you would know about it and I see you are putting all this down to your Anxiety.

All I would suggest, if not already talk to your GP and explain what is going on.

Get your concerns laid too rest.

BOB

• Posted

Yes! it happens to me and it makes me afraid of sleeping again .. so i try to stay awake but at the same time i feel so tired and i want to sleep (to forget about it) so i do fall asleep and it happen again with a hot flash and heart beating .. terrible feelingĀ 
  • Posted

Hi Sophie

Try listening to some low relaxing music to drift off to sleep to. Or do meditation before sleep too. 

i listen to a guided meditation evéynight in bed.. and i am asleep before it finishes 😊

I hope things improve soon lovely x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.