Bad Partial Knee Replacment

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a Partial Knee Replacement  in Sept of 2017 and I healed fine and by Jan 2018 I started having a lot of pain in my leg and especially around the area that was operated on.  I made an appointed with my Surgeon and at first he said it probably was Arthritis and Scar tissue and prescribed me some Etodolac which is for inflammation.  After the medicine did not work at all and my pain increased almost daily I called him back and he sent me for a bone scan and found out that the plastic was coming apart from the cement in my knee which could be possibly causing all the pain and after being aggressive and the high levels of pain my Family Medicine Doctor sent me to see a Second Opinion Surgeon and now l will have to have a full knee replacement.  This Orthopedic Surgeon agreed that the Uni will have to come out of my knee and be replaced with a Total Knee now.  I will be having that July 9 2018 because I can barely stand the pain and the piece is hitting a nerve in my leg and radiating Pain...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear of the failure of your uni. With the new technology out there, this procedure should only be done robotically.   Unfortunately, for whatever reason, some doctors believe themselves to be better than the robotic equipment.  No mention of the robotic surgery was given in any of the consultations before surgery. I, too, have a failed uni. My surgery was July 27, 2017.  I have seen 2 ortho doctors, had CAT scan, X-rays and finally given a steroid to reduce inflammation. The icing on the cake is the piece of bone left in my knee.  I have been told I need revision surgery now, I have been told to try and strengthen the knee and wait and see.  I have done and am still doing all the exercises in hopes somehow that will be the answer. Since I trust no doctors at this point, I’m not sure what my course of action will be.  At my initial consultation, I had asked for a total and was convinced I did not need it, that the uni was a much simpler surgery and recovery time was so much easier.  

I certainly  wish you all the best and my heart aches for you that you have to endure this surgery once again.  It is shameful.

Sue

• Posted

Sue I was trying to wait to decide to have the revision surgery, but it's like every step I take I can feel that piece in my knee pressing, mashing, stabbing against my knee where the partial was put in and it radiates through out my right leg... The plastic has came loose from the cement!!

• Posted

Wow so sorry to hear about the obvious blunder that has been made are you in the UK I would be looking to sue the surgeon who did your operation I hope all goes well with your TKR mine was done 2016 and by computer.
  • Posted

My heart just aches for you...I wish you all the best and pray the revision

will take away your pain.  Please post after your surgery...

Sue

• Posted

Bad luck this happened , but have heard partials are not as successful as full . Good luck with your op and hope it works out . It is painful though 
  • Posted

I am 20 months post a cementless L. TKR and just learned that it has failed! Yes, I definitely think I would have been better off without the TKR. I plan to live with the failed implant. The bone did not grow into the implant like it was suppose to.....I have no infection or swelling, just soreness and pain down my tibia when I bend over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.