bad peripheral vision

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Went for an eye test today and after I had a peripheral vision test. My right eye was fine however my left eye was really bad. They took the test 3 times and had to ask me to come back again for more tests and  further examination.

Is this something to worry about?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

sometimes they repeat the test becasue the results are not conclusive enough. 

or if they have identified 'something of concern' then they want to be sure before acting.

if they have asked you to come back then that will give you the opportunity to ask what they are suspecting / looking for and whether there is anything that they are concerned about.

in the meantime, i'd concentrate on feeling reassured that they are being thorough.

good luck.

• Posted

I went back to Specsavers this morning. I had another test. Whilst it was slightly better it still wasn't good. The optician is writing to my doctor and asking for a referal.he thinks I have Optic Drusel (spelling).
  • Posted

Hi Mark

I Googled that and it appears that it is called Optic Disc Drusen.  I have never heard the term before.

Certainly if you are having problems with your peripheral vision, you should be referred to an Ophthalmologist, who is a qualified Doctor.  Perhaps you should speak to your GP and get him to refer you.  I don't know how quickly Specsavers write their letters.

Google 'Drusen' and you will learn more.

• Posted

I have my hospital appointment Friday.

Anyone know what kind of tests i would have?

The letter mentions the possibility of havinf my eyes dilated, whats the after effects of that like?

Thanks

Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark, they will instill some drops into each eye, to make the pupils dilate, that makes it easier for the Ophthalmologist to examine the back ot your eye........that is, inside your eye.

When they use dilating drops, you aren't allowed to drive until the pupils return to normal, which can be several hours.  They usually suggest that you get a friend to drive you to your appt..

They will also check the pressures in your eye, this is similar to the Optometrist doing the puff of air into your eyes, only the hospital will use a slit lamp, that is the instrument that you sit behind and put your chin on a rest and the doctor sits the other side and looks into your eyes!

• Posted

They most probably also got you to complete a visual field test. How did it go?

I have had my visual field test completed, Im awaiting an appointment with the neurologist now. 7 days to wait !

• Posted

Hello

An update:

I have had my 2nd check up at the eye hospital and they said the left eye's pperipheral vision has got slightly worse (i panicked!!!)

However the Dr said i wont go blind.

Shes referred me for a orbit and brain CT scan.

• Posted

Hi,

I have also recently been diasgnosed with Optic Disc Drusen. This was afer 2 years of going backwards and forwards and being told "lets put it down to something that happened in pregnancy"

I was also referred to a neurologist to rule out other possibilites.

On diagnosis I was told that around 1% of the population have this. I was also told that the condition will not slow down, it would stay constant or progress quicker. (I was given 20years). I was also told that 1 in 3 people diagnosed also loose their central vision. In addition to this depending on where the secretion is coming from and where it calcifies it could be on a blood vessel and could loose my sight entirely.

I was told that the best thing I could so was become my own expert as there is not much known on it or not alot of research being done on it. There is a very good document you can find through Specsavers website that isnt too medically wordy!

I was also advised to "consider" telling the DVLA. Although the doctor has confirmed my sight is currently fine to drive. I am reluctant to do this if there is no reason to as it will result in a possible revoke of license and doctors letters required to confirm my eyes are ok. I have checked the DVLA website and this is not a listed condition you must tell them about.

I have to now go for a sight test annually and the eye hospital annually to check the progress of the sight loss.

There doesnt seem to be a lot of information or support out there.

• Posted

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with optic disc drusen, after many other tests (MRI, CT, EDG and loads of bloods - so I've been thoroughly examined). It doesn't seem like there is alot of information available about it. I was told to just carry on as normal.

My last visual field test (done six months ago) showed part of my left peripheral vision has been affected - it was a change to my vision that prompted all of this - blurring to part of my vision, floaters, decreased night vision.

It seem sthat some US patients are advised to take some vitamins to help, has anyone esle been told if there are vitamins you can take to help slow progression?

Thanks, hope you are all well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.